1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Advice for speeding up friend's PC

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by pbryanw, 6 May 2017.

1. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Hi, my Mum has asked me to help with a friend's PC this Wednesday, which is suffering from general slowdown.

I think the PC in question is some kind of All-in-one, so I assume an SSD upgrade is out of the question.

I was going to just install Geek Uninstaller, and uninstall a few programs. After that, I can't think of what else I should do to speed it up. I assume it's running Windows 10, but it's possible it could be running Windows 8. I get my first look at the PC in question on Wednesday.

Any ideas for how to speed up or de-junk an All-in-one Windows PC?

Thanks, Paul.

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

All PC's al lin one or not will usually use standard drives, a SSD will likely be the best for speeding up a old machine.

Get the model of it and someone will advise.

pbryanw likes this.
  3. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

@mrbungle - Thanks for your reply & help. I'll see if I can get the model of the PC when I visit on Wednesday. Then, if it can take an SSD, maybe advise my Mum's friend to let me fit one for her. I think it's a HP all-in-one but it's a long time since I've been round to the house. Hopefully things will make more sense after I've seen the PC this week :thumb:

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Defraggler and CCleaner are awesome tools. SSD upgrade would probably be the best, though. More RAM too.

pbryanw likes this.
  5. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

@Nealieboyee - Thanks, I've added Defraggler and CCleaner to the list of programs to install - thanks for reminding me of these excellent utilities - will come in useful if she doesn't want to pay for an SSD or if the PC can't take one :thumb:

6. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Hi, investigated the machine today. The PC turned out to be a Toshiba LX830-11D, which an internet search says was released about 4 years ago.

The friend in question is not very computer literate, so it turned out she was concerned with messages coming from the installed free Avast Antivirus, which were saying she had x number of unneeded programs on the PC, as well as 213MB of junk files (it also turned out that Avast was starting slowly on the machine).

So, I uninstalled it and replaced with Avira Free (which unfortunately has the 48hr nag notifications, but no cleaning messages I think). I thought about reverting to Windows Defender, but have had good experiences with Avira in the past.

There was also a few unnecessary bundled Toshiba utilities loading on startup, so I uninstalled these apps. I considered an SSD upgrade (and looking at this video it appears the hard-drive is removable) but felt uncomfortable taking the back off the all-in-one to fit one. Anyway, the actual PC was running quite well considering it's age and reliance on a mechanical hard-drive.

Just wanted to say, thanks for everyone's replies and help on this topic, and thanks for an enjoyable first dip into the knowledgeable Bit-tech Forums :thumb: (as someone who only comments on the tech articles).