1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Advice - New ADSL router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Caracortada_uk, 10 Jun 2012.

1. Caracortada_uk

Caracortada_uk What's a Dremel?

Hi all, i am looking for advice in getting a new router to replace my aged Netgear DG834gt using DGTeam firmware.

The router has served well, especially the huge improvements had with DGTeam firmware. But im finding i have issues with the WiFi freezing up, this is the main reason to upgrade. And while getting a new one id like one with gigabit and also future proof me for when FTTC comes to my area.

I am looking at the Billion 7800N which im reading has excellent ADSL performance and solid wifi that will do well in my old houses thick walls. But are there any other alternatives i should look at or that even any that flat out beat the 7800N?

2. narwen

narwen narwen

3. Fantus

Fantus Nothing to see here...

Personally, if I had the funds to put down on one, I'd get a Billion. Fantastic customer support and very high quality build and firmware.

4. Caracortada_uk

Caracortada_uk What's a Dremel?

I have been looking at that Netgear but i am not sold on its ADSL performance. With the DG834GT i was getting around 6Mb and a line attenuation of 25 using stock firmware. The DGTeam one ramped me up to 8mb and gives me an attenuation of 23.5.

That Netgear hardware may good, but i can not find anything on the software and how it copes in ADSL, the reviews only rave about its WiFi.

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

~at £100 do it right get a Cisco/linksys Router.
    has the best QoS on the consumer market ATM.
    And you can get one with dual Wlan, so you can have ur secure WLan and one for guests/friends.

6. Acanuck

Acanuck What's a Dremel?

+1 for the Billion.
    I used a Cisco WAG160N for years until wireless started to drop. It was an excellent router. I was really happy with the web utility interface too. Plenty of options whilst not being too complicated. So I decided to go for the Cisco X3000 as a replacement. Unfortunately, after only a week it was freezing and resetting itself. The only cure was to reset and fully reconfigure the router. Not only that, the web utility was sluggish and unresponsive. The lack of any firmware updates available didn't help.

I still would consider a Cisco in the future but after reading several reviews I decided to opt for the Billion. The web interface is not quite as intuitive as Cisco's but still beats any O2/BT/Sky router by miles. It has a basic setup option too, for simple and fast setup.

The Billion 7800N I have is still running without a single issue since I received it hence my recommendation.

7. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

if wireless is your issue, why not get a wireless access point and just turn the wi fi off on your router, then you can get something like the Netgear WAG102 which has dual radio's so you can use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the smae time, using 5Ghz means little or no interferance which mackes for a much more reliable connection

plus with a separate wireless access point you can possible move it to somewhere to give you better coverage rather than having to be close to your BT socket.

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

As I am on Virgin Fiber-optic, this is what I did got the Cisco e4200 and have not had to do a reboot/ reset since. It also has 2 WLAN senders so I get the bonus of having a separate guest network :D

9. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I've never found anything better than D-Link routers, and I've tried a handful of different ones. Ultimately, I get the best stability and higher ADSL sync rates with my D-Link 2740R than I do with anything else.

The model itself is a little old now, there's probably stuff available from them with N networking.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Throwing my hat in for the Billion 7800N as well. Just make sure not to get the 7800NL.

As for D-Link products I've seen several of their routers not performing as advertised.

11. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

12. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

Im too in the same boat and would like any advice regarding this :D

13. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I've started to look for advice on a new router, one that can reliably handle multiple wireless devices (at most 10, normally between 2 and 5). My belkin keeps cutting out so had to plug the old G router in.

14. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

What do you priortise more? ADSL or Wifi performance?

If it's ADSL then I would get the Billion 7800N like others have recommened here. One of the most stable routers for ADSL with 802.11n to boot with great range (I own one).

But if you want really 'super-duper-fantastic' wifi then perhaps Cisco or Draytek will better serve your needs. I'm not knowledgable on what these guys have but someone here should be.

15. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

I'll take a look into that, as long as the box is reliable with both adsl and wifi that'll be the main thing.