1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on a blue orb....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AW3K, 29 Dec 2001.

1. AW3K

AW3K What's a Dremel?

i know it's an old card but it's all i can afford for now

it's a 3DFX Voodoo 3 2000 AGP
    and
    will a blue orb fit without modding it? And what else would i need to do to it?

Cheers

AW3K

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

im guessing youll probably need to epoxy it on m8

3. Warbear_nG

Warbear_nG What's a Dremel?

I have a voodoo3 3000 - so I am assuming they are 'similar'

I removed the default coolers, and left the HS on (big one) and glued an 8cm panaflow onto it - works like a dream now! Though it DOES take the AGP and the first 2 PCI slots out!

4. AW3K

AW3K What's a Dremel?

my "default" cooler is just a heatsink all be it a very rubbish one see picture

[​IMG]

i've had the card 2 years and just figured out y it hangs in game lol

the chip gets warm. well actually i nearly burnt my finger the other day lol so i think it needs cooling.

how do i remove the old heatsink or can i just screw a fan to it?

Cheers

AW3K

5. RTT

RTT #parp

yeah i burned my finger on a v3 3000 :eek:

6. AW3K

AW3K What's a Dremel?

what did u do about it then? fit an orb ? throw the card away lol j/k

i need some help here but if the orb dun fit.
    it dun matter they only cost £7 @ OCS so no big waste

but on http://www.blorb.co.uk/ one says it fits with no mods but another says it needs modding.

which is true?

Cheers

AW3K

7. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Have you thought about going for the Crystal Orb? They look so much nicer than the Blue ones!:cool:

8. BradfordPimp

BradfordPimp What's a Dremel?

I want a green orb, and about getting the hs off, put it in the freezer (i need to, but i dont dare, so i have a blorb on the back of my geforce2 atm, with a lovely fan screwed into the hs on the front :p)

9. AW3K

AW3K What's a Dremel?

yer i looked at the Crystal Orb but i'm a poor student :D and i can't be bothered to pay more for a old card.... i'll buy one for my new system when it's built lol WHEN lol :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AW3K

10. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

DON'T BUY A BLORB. THEY'RE ****

For the same money (ok, a little more, but less than a crystal orb), you can get an Akasa Icicle 311 from OCS (under heatsinks, Akasa Copper 1U cooler). This is a PIII 866 cooler (FCPGA) made from copper. You'll need to attach it with ASTE, or superglue on the corners with AS in the middle, but they work WELL. I use one without a fan on my GF3 Ti200, and overclock that from 175 to 240 core, and I use another on my northbridge (CPU load temps dropped 2C when I installed that...:)). Just prep it a little before you install it, because the bottom finish isn't good (I just spent about 20-30mins on my two with duraglit). If you can be bothered, lap it.

Alternatively, you could do what I did to my bro's GF2 GTS, which was overheating...I ASTEd an old socket 7 HSF to that (the HSF had been used fine on a K6-2 366). :)

PS no flames please. Based on personal experience, I'm through with Thermaltake, 60mm Deltas and non-seagate HDDs.

11. AW3K

AW3K What's a Dremel?

whats wrong with the orb apart from it needs lapping.?

How many PCI slots does the blue orb take up? 1 or 2?

Cheers

AW3K

12. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

It takes up 1 PCI slot. My funky passive cooling on my GF3 takes none, but that relies on having a blowhole...

Here's what I wrote on another site's forums about the Blue Orb:

Agreed that the blorbs are POS. I've done a little investigating into them, and found some interesting things...

1) Base is not flat. This is very well known, and many people (myself included) have lapped blorbs to get around this. However...

2) Base is caused to warp by the mounting system. This is not so well known, but can be seen on lapped blorbs. As you press down on the two tabs which mount it, the base flexes, and the middle of the blorb arches up, breaking contact with the GPU.

3) Very poor thermal transfer. The fins of the blorb are a separate piece to the base, and they are rather poorly put together, so very, very little heat gets into the fins.

The same applies to the bastardised blue/orange orb hybrid that hercules ship on their GF3s (guess how I know...).

My solution? Where I used to have 2 blorbs in my system, I've now mounted (using ASTE) some VERY sweet little socket 370 copper heatsinks, made for 1U rackmount servers. These things are designed for a PIII 866, so can easily handle a GPU or northbridge chip (where I have my two mounted). They're so effective that, with the blowhole on the side of my case, I don't need a fan on the one on the GPU.

http://www.lapicon.co.uk/akasa/cool.../icicle311.html

13. AW3K

AW3K What's a Dremel?

thanks for the info m8

i'm still gonna get a blorb cos it's only going on an ord card...

another question about ASII and AA do they corrode anything? like alloy and copper

sorry about all the questions but i'm new to this.

btw that link is dead :(

Thanks

AW3K

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

15. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Correct link:
    http://www.lapicon.co.uk/akasa/coolers/icicle311/icicle311.html

If you MUST go for an orb, get an orange or a crystal. They are single-piece, and thus avoid some of the probs of the blue orb. However, both orange and crystal orbs are more expensive than the Akasa 1U cooler, and not as effective. In order to avoid base warping, you'd need to ASTE the orbs to the core anyway, so you might as well ASTE something worthwhile on there, for less money.