1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Advice on a Headset or headphones + mic and sound card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NachoMachoMan, 21 Jun 2013.

1. NachoMachoMan

NachoMachoMan What's a Dremel?

I've heard bad things about those :worried: but thanks for the opinion

Yeah i get your point about paying more for a brand. But am i right to be looking for accurate headphones for gaming and movies? or should i be looking at getting a sound card to get the most from games ?

2. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Expensive HiFi headphones are nothing without a dedicated soundcard/amp to drive them.
    I'd look into the Xonar (d2x) or the latest soundblaster offering for a decent discrete sound card, something with high SNr (Signal to noise ratio) as this helps with the ever present graphics card buzz on some unshielded soundcards when gaming.

Or you could go down the USB headset route, If you're after gaming you can probably get away with a decent price-point headset like the corsair vengeance 1500's or a roccat kave.

These won't give you amazing reproduction of the midrange/low frequencies and generally offer pseudo 5.1 over true 5.1.

If you're not interested in surround, and aren't an audiophile like me, you probably don't need anything more than a pair of cans with decent sized drivers and semi-accurate reproduction.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Sound-Judgement-Five-Gaming-Headphones-Reviewed/

My brother has the Corsair 1500's and they're not that great but are serviceable for gaming.

Must haves:
    Big drivers for good powerful sound
    Circumaural (covers around the ear) for unrivaled comfort
    Long cables for accidental standing up and breaking everything incidents
    Well weighted with decent headrest support

Optional:
    Multi-Drivers for positional audio
    Detachable/retractable Microphone
    Noise cancelling / sealed cups

Last edited: 24 Jun 2013
  3. NachoMachoMan

NachoMachoMan What's a Dremel?