1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Advice on flat power cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giskard, 11 Feb 2022.

1. giskard

giskard System builder

The ATX and PCI-e modular power cables on my Corsair RM750X are very fat/stiff probably because of their inline capacitors and aren't a pretty sight in my case. I've thought about getting flat extension cables so I could leave the modular cables tucked behind the case with just the flat/ribbon extension cables discreetly fed through the cable slots to the mobo and to my GPU. The extension cables wouldn't need to be very long.
    Have anyone else done something similar or is it better to replace the modular cables with flatter/sleeker ones altogether (but I guess in-line caps would still be ended)?
    Using flat extension cables would be more convenient., but are there any gotchas?
    Also, any recommendations for extension cables? The Akasa ones on Amazon look pretty good.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Personally, I'd send the RM750X back or bin it as I've never had a Corsair product which is actually well built. However, that aside, extension cables will work without issue but do make all your cables very long. Alternatively, swap them for a decent set of 3rd party cables which probably won't have the inline capacitors but since they don't do an awful lot in the grand scheme of things (as far as I know), you'll be fine.

giskard likes this.
  3. giskard

giskard System builder

Thanks, I ended up getting these Antec extension cable set and one of these Shakmod 4-pin EPS cables, haven't used them yet but there's plenty of room in the case to make the most of the extra length.