1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Advice on Nvidia cards.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wing Zero, 13 Sep 2011.

1. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

my PC is running a 2500K and a 47o on a single WC loop. I find that while my CPU runs cool, the heat from the graphics card tends to push it hotter than I like (up to 60c when gaming). cooling is provided by a 200mm rad cooled by an Antec big boy fan, and a 240mm rad with 2x Akasa black Apache fans. CPU block is a apogee XT v1 and the pump is a laing DCC

now here's the dilemma:

moving my PC into a new room soon, and i'd like to run 4 monitor connections. 2 LCD TVs, a monitor and a projector. something like the following picture:
    [​IMG]

Now I believe that unlike AMD cards, I need 2 nvidia graphics cards to do this, and SLI will only let me run a max of 2 monitors at once.
    since the only time I'd use SLI would be gaming on just the monitors, this would suit me well, as I could run unlinked cards if I needed to output to the projector or 42" TV (or both) and switch to SLI for increased gaming power on just the 2 smaller screens.

I'm however concerned about what graphics cards to use with my WC loop. the GTX 460's have good gaming power and don't cost so much to buy. But a GTX 560 is more powerful and runs cooler, but at the cost of almost double a 460 card's price.

I'm not sure what a comparable AMD/ATI card would be, if that would be a better option.

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Most of the ATI 68xx and 69xx series have 2 DVI and 2 displayport connectors, which would do the job in a single card, though you'd require some displayport adapters if none of your monitors or TVs have a DP.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

4. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

You can run 3-4 monitors but you have to disable SLI to use monitor 3 and 4.

I run 3 screens and just enable SLI when i'm gaming.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

It's true, when SLI is enabled both cards act as one, with 2 outputs. When it is disabled each card has 2 outputs making 4.

6. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

I was right with the setup then, i just need to kow what would be the best cards to use.

460 = cheapest to buy 2 off, good gaming performance, but would run hotter
    470 = currently have one, so getting another should increase performance, however it's heat buildup gives me concern in the first place
    560 = don't know if i want if the ti version only costs a little extra for much better performance
    560 ti = faster, runs cooler, but cost twice as much

7. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Since you already have a 470 the cheapest option is to buy another. I looked on newegg a few days ago but couldn't find any 470.

I run 2 560Ti and they do the job quite well. They are probably the best bang for the buck.

8. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

If you already have one 470 i'd go for the SLI but you may need to add another rad which adds to the cost...

Everybody has there own opinion on CPU temp levels but as long as mine stay under 80c full load on a warm/hot day then i'm OK with that.

9. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

I have my current 470 earmarked for another custom Pc project, so looking for alternatives. so far it's either the 460 or 560ti. don't know what AMD card would be equal/better, and if they can run 4 screens without display port.

there's 2 WCed 470s currently avaliable here on bittech, but i don't know if i should get them, considering i'm concerned about my current WC temps with 1 470 card.... let alone 2