1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Advice on upgrading my NAS.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alekoy, 5 Sep 2013.

1. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

I want to upgrade my storage server, the current internals are lagging behind and I think a more modern motherboard and raid controller(s) will not only work faster but also use less power, something that would be nice for a box that is up 24/7

also I will be using my old main computer as a virtual server-box to get rid of a couple of other boxes that is running all year (cctv and two download boxes) so iSCSI is a feature I want in the new OS

My current setup is:
    Case:Supermicro SC846A-R900B
    Drives: 20 of the bays are currently in use, drives ranging from 750GB to 2TB
    CPU: 2X Xenon 2,4GHZ
    RAM: 2GB
    Motherboard: Supermicro X5DP8-G2
    RAID controllers: 2x 3Ware 9550SX 12-port SATA
    OS HDD: old 320GB disc

And that is pretty much it :p

I plan on replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM, Raid controllers and of course the OS.

So far I have been looking at some hardware, but it all seems like a jungle to me at the moment..

The Raid controller I have been looking at is the (aging) 24-port version of the Areca ARC1280ML
    that one is PCI-express 8X
    I don't know if it would be better to use two 12-port version of the same/similar card or not.
    Maybe there is a better (sub $500) card out there somewhere?

Is there any performance gain in using a SSD drive for the system disc?

What software do I want to use?
    In the past I have used FreeNAS, OpenFiler and probably others that I don't remember.

on the network-side of it I have a Linksys SRW2024 Gigabit managed switch, and I want to know if it would be useful to have a dual gigabit-link between the server and switch?
    the CCTV and other machines on the virtual server will be transferring quite a bit of data to and from the server all/most of the time.
    Maybe a direct gigabit link between the two would be better?

Any input is appreciated :D