1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Advice on using copper tubing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Fuganater, 13 Mar 2012.

1. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

I'd like to use copper tubing in my next rig but idk what to use.

I saw them in this build.
    [​IMG]

What size fittings do I need?
    What size tubing?
    Anything special need to be done to the tubing?

Thanks.

2. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

i'd also like to know its a cool mad , i think Bitspower make the fittings without barbs , they have like a rubber "o" ring in there

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

Looks like it's using BitsPower SLI links in that image, they are not very secure - so use them at your own peril - being designed for short (20-30mm) straight runs. Push fit connectors, designed for torchless plumbing are suitably secure - water-cooling has almost universally adopted the G1/4BSP thread so fittings first, then tubing then done.

You'll want soft tubing, a pipe bending spring will be a must, and a pipe bending lever will probably be needed too. You should probably apply a lacquer too the copper - the block particularly is yuck in that image, and the pipes don't look too much better.

There are already several threads relating to this in the forum, have a little serch to see what solutions others have come up with.

4. Fuganater

5. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Can you recommend any specifics?

bending spring? I've used the pipe benders on thick steel pipes in hyraulics, but nothing on copper, so any advice would be gratefully received.

I too have been considering this approach in a build that is contained within my desk. I then want to lacquer the pipe to match the colour of the rest of the build.

Many thanks

Tatty

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Actually, there's been a lot of talk on this. You want tempered 12mm OD pipe, (the annealed stuff is rolled so it is no longer perfectly round.)

@Fuganater - If you get the black ones you can strip them down to the brass fairly easy.
    Edit: and if you want ugly steampunk, you might do better with solder barbs like I used in Bloo.

7. asura

asura jack of all trades

8. Fuganater

Thanks for the info guys.

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I think it's easier to do when you're not watercooling. :D
    For this, we just used standard drainage pipe and an angle bender, you can probably do the same with it in watercooling to get the desired curve.

[​IMG]