1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adware distributor receives hefty sentence

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 29 Aug 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Shoulda made him donate all that money to charity, if he'd spent it then he'd have to earn it back.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

And what the hell?! 37 months for installing adware?!?! C'mon! Then they should have given Sony's chairman like a million years for their root kits!
    But US government PCs ain't secure enough to make sure no adware is installed on them? Cool. :eyebrow:

Last edited: 29 Aug 2006
  4. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

Should have cut off his hands and sent him to jail for 37 YEARS not months.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I prefer the russian way to be honest, but it's good to know he got some sort of payback.

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Given the fact that Spam and ad's make up most of the network traffic on the internet, and that everyone hates to be bugged by this sort of rubbish, I think he more then deserved his punishment, regardless of the fact that noone got hurt. It costed time and money for the infected users, and he made some good money out of it.

7. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

$100,000

wow, sod my current job ;)

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

$100k for 3 years of your life isn't exactly a great deal, IMHO. Though it has put me to thinking - how much would you have to make from criminal activities to make it seem a 'good deal' to go to jail? For example, I'd happily take 3 years for $10m.

9. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

School and Hospital PC's would have been used by a wide variety of people with little to no sense about pc security and even the "military" pc's could have just been say a military bases equivalent of a cyber cafe surely ?

Its not like the word "government" automatically means "Top-Secret High-security state-secret-storing computers in any nation :hehe:

10. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I seriously hope he gets buggered in jail, the amount of time I've spent removing adware, spyware and virus isn't funny. He knew it was wrong what he was doing, but as he thought it was very unlikely he would be caught he carried on with it.

11. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

Only if you get to KEEP the money. A lot of the times your assets are confiscated by the goverment and they determine if the asset was gotten by illegal means or not, such as the wells fargo robbers a while back. On the other hand someone with some sense would know where to put his/her money so its out of reach of the goverment.

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Refers to email spam, but maybe you just heard distributing adware was unamerican. :D

13. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

pfft he got off lightly

trying to use a sob story to get away from the fact that he is part of the scum of the Internet

14. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

I think that's pretty harsh. 3 years for putting a bit of software on computers? I've had adware on my computer, but I've removed it with Adaware / SpyBot / A2. It's annoying, and should be punished, but 3 years in jail? Yet a rapist can get off with a year and 2 years probation. (Trust me, it happened in my community. They should just gut their genitals off, but that's besides the point here.) The point is: The punishment should fit the crime. Have all illegal assets ceased and then have him do one hour of community service for each infected PC. That would be fair. Viruses would be a different matter, though. I've had to reformat my hard drive numerous times.

In conclusion:
    Viruses should be a jailable offense as they actually cause harm to the users PC.
    Adware should not be as it does not harm the user's PC.

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

But yet it costs companies that have to pay a technician to remove the adware from a billion workstations... Don't underestimate the cost of such actions...

I think you'd look at it in a different manner if you were the technitian and had to clean up an entire workspace worth of pc's, because 1 funny kid descided it is harmless to install adware on pc's.

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

17. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

While what he did was wrong, he did nothing violent or anything, why is anything involving money more important than people lives and quality of living. I mean I know most of you probably get annoyed with removing spyware, but hell, I bet you get paid for some of it. I would say community service, but no prison. Waaaay too harsh in my opinion.

18. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

He was just fighting the man, man! :rock:

/juuuussst kidding.

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

DO you have any idea how much inconvenience this man has caused millions of people? For some reason some people think that no matter how many petty crimes someone commits, they're still not as bad as a person who commits one crime like murder. I disagree with that strongly. Infecting millions of PC's with ad-ware is imo just as bad as killing a person. The malevolence was just spread very thinly over a large number of people, but the quantity was the same.

Considering what this man did, he got off far too lightly.

20. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

What about the average joe who had to pay for someone to come around to fix their pc after it hi-jacked their browser, do you think its fair for them? I agree with most he got off likely, also in the headline here it states
    Well since when has a boy been 21 years old, he is a man and he should take his sentence like a man.

Tags: Add Tags