1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music After new bands to listen to

Discussion in 'General' started by Ninja_182, 22 May 2008.

1. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Overly done thread theme I know. Sorry.

Im after obscure metal / doom (hence why im asking for it not just finding it in metal hammer). Thinking along the lines of Opeth, Dååth, Earth sounding stuff. K, Charlesbeams and Victorianbloke, im pointing the finger of responsibility firmly at you :p

Basically, if you go into a metal club and ask the DJ to play it, you can be reasonably confident he wont know what it is nevermind have it. Not for the purpose of doing that, more because I have heared most of what they have. Obscure meaning not very well known of, but still being good. Not so bad its forced to remain obscure.

Thanks guys.

2. charlesbeams

charlesbeams TRANCEFORMer

i dont have that much stuff anymore :( but ill list what i can remember/ have already, you might know most of them.

5ive (not the boy band)
    Acid King
    Acrimony
    Electric Wizard
    Goatsnake
    Greenleaf
    Greenmachine
    Grand Magus
    High On Fire
    Jumbo's Killcrane
    Mammatus
    OM
    Sleep
    Spiritual Beggars
    The Mushroom River Band
    Ufomammut
    Weedeater

alot of the bands i find are usually from THIS site. i might add a few more tomorrow, after i check my brothers PC, as he has alot more stuff like this.

3. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Heard of a few, been meaning to get round to them. I love the 5ive thing, its great telling people I listen to 5ive and they look back at me with my beard, long hair and Slayer shirt on, wondering if im being serious or just having them on :p

That list is going to take me a while, to get through. Thanks for the site link as well, going to have to power through that lot between exam revision.

4. K

K 528491

I'll just try and give you a few choice cuts.

Nadja are one of the finest ambient/drone bands in existence and are alarmingly prolific, releasing on average about 2 or 3 records a year. There are some really nice shoegaze influences in there too, very good stuff. I highly recommend the records Thaumogenesis and Bodycage.

Windmills By The Ocean are a side project that never really picked up steam. It features Bryant Clifford Meyer from Isis and Red Sparowes and some other dudes from the likes of 27 and Anodyne. It is a seriously good example of by-the-numbers epic post-metal that manages to include one of the heaviest drone tracks I've heard in years. Just one self-titled album.

Minsk are well worth checking out if, like me, you think Neurosis never really bettered themselves after Through Silver In Blood. They pick up right where they left off. Check out The Ritual Fires of Abandonment.

Mouth of the Architect are another Neurosis-esque post-metal band, but are horrendously underrated and manage to surpass their peers such as Isis and Pelican on a number of levels. The Ties That Blind is painfully heavy, long, slow and yet still somehow catchy. One of the best albums of 2006 and even features the amazing Brian Cook of Botch and These Arms Are Snakes on bass (but only on record, mind).

Enjoy.

5. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I would reccomend Arsis's early work which is very good. sadly their new stuff lacks the edge of their old works (new drummer and singer :()

porcupine tree,
    King crimson - Very good progressive music, they change line up every 5-6 years and covers a lot of different ground

6. Squadexodus

Squadexodus I got my cookie. What about you?

It helps to go to the bands wikipedia and see who they toured with.

7. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I'd also add Iron Monkey, anyone that forms a band with the express intention of pissing off as many people as possible deserves a listen, Rotting Christ I keep going back to, especially Theogonia I know they're not that obscure but the DJ's in manc never seem to have any.

One of my mates bands have just been signed Skin The Pig to cover the obscure angle they have an EP out that pretty sweet. /ends shameless plug/ :)

Porcupine Tree really surprised me live, far heavier than on disk.

8. K

K 528491

Iron Monkey, probably the heaviest band known to mankind. The best sludge band ever, no doubt about it.

9. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

cryonic temple
    hammerfall

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Hell Is For Heroes
    YourCodeNameIs:Milo

11. Matticus

Matticus ...

Not sure if you after this sort of stuff, but I thought I would plug my mates band anyways

http://www.myspace.com/finalepitaph

I personally don't like metal too much, but I find myself listening to them on a regular basis.

Seriously, give them a jolly good listening to

Solitary and This New Beginning are my favs

12. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

not really hard metal tho tbh but still good

13. K

K 528491

...what?

Huge amounts of irrelevance. Read what he asked for.

14. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

15. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Just stick bands you like into www.last.fm and see what it suggests.

I'd recommend Orange Goblin

16. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Im pretty sure I would get a punch for asking for Hell is for heroes off one or two DJs :p

This music listening to thing is consuming my life :)

17. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Just looking on their myspace, noticed Annotations of An Autopsy, I recall one night in Nottingham looking at a poster with them on thinking 'Christ thats a metal font' thus starting my quest to find a harder to read one.

18. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

off topic, but have you been relixed? sure your av didn't look like that yesterday

19. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

What is relixing :p

20. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

Tags: