1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 5 Jun 2008.

1. Christah

Christah New Member

Erh... Gates? Sure, they don't call it instancing, but until you can hop out the airlock of one station and fly in a spacesuit to the next, it's still instanced :p

They have stated that more quests will follow in the upcoming patches...

Traders have been fixed.

If you have the reccomended hardware it's still running at >24fps, which is the same as tv-shows. (that's the case for me anyhow)

2. MrMonroe

MrMonroe New Member

I have been having almost the exact opposite experience as the BT reviewer, with the notable exception that I, too, found the melee combat to be really refreshing. It's also important to note that the shielding mechanic also works for rangers.

Things that were completely different for me:

1:There IS a storyline for your character. You have about a dozen destiny quests in the opening area, then others are spread out through the game every twenty levels or so.

2: It only takes about twenty minutes to get into the gates of Tortage and start questing. Why it took the reviewer "the first hour or two" to get to questing I'll never know.

3: The only original class is the Demonologist? Did you guys play a barbarian or a HoX? The Classes all have very different combat roles, and the fact that the Conqueror feels like a Pally to people who are determined to compare this to WoW is to be expected. Some combat roles are good archetypes. There's a reason people who play Bear Shaman will think it is reminiscent of a feral druid: it's a useful combat archetype.

4: My highest level character is a lvl 34 Conqueror. I have done, to this point, exactly zero grinding unless you count fighting through the jungle to reach the opening city. I've been carried the whole way by questing, and mostly in Conall's valley. The gaps in content supposedly show up in the late thirties and late fifties, an issue Funcom has recognized and has said they are releasing more content for in the near future. If you're bored, just indulge in your altheimers until the new content comes out.

I really wonder why you thought it needed another ranger class. How many different ways do you need to be able to shoot arrows?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

How many ways do you need to be able to hit things with a sword or a club?

4. Christah

Christah New Member

MITRA!! Are you kidding me??!!!
    Go play guitar hero!!
    If you don't like fighting and don't like mmorpg's, then don't review them.

Being able to swing your weapon in several directions and to adjust your attack to the opponents shield brings another level of challenge to the game.
    PvP turns into a battle of skills instead of gear, as you basically can dodge the opponents blows.
    If you fail to see why this is interesting you should stay far away from games.

Regards, Axe-Swinging-Barbarian

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Sigh.

I love RPGs. My point was sarcastic and a mirror of someone elses comment if you actually read back a step or two.

The point is that if you're going to provide choice for warriors in regards to their balancing for swords, blunt weapons, magic abilities, resistances and so on then it seems stupid to only have one ranger class. Why have Warrior Who Is Good With Swords and Healing Spells, Warrior Who Is Good With Offense Spells, Warrior Who Is Good Only At Weapons, Fast Weak Warrior, Slow Strong Warrior, etc through all the different variations and then just provide one ranger class, with no choice. If I want to play a Ranger class who is good at a specific type of magic then I'm ****ed.

Of course, that said, I don't even like Rangers all that much. Personally I'd much prefer a demonologist from the choices on offer. But then again, from the choices on offer I'd rather not have a subscription model RPG at all because I might not want to pay oodles of cash for a few months worth of play. That's all extraneous though, which is why it gets dumped at the door.

As for the rest of it, I guess you should read the thread first because not only were we not discussing the shielding mechanic, I actually agree with you too - though to a less fanboyish degree. :p

6. Hg

Hg The game known as life

best online game since Guildwars a refreshing change, like it alot lvl 30 now

7. gargoyle

gargoyle New Member

How about letting someone who's played the game write the review next time? Sheesh.

8. koajoe

koajoe PC Gaming master race!

Wow.... too many fanbois in here already.

Joe, I think you gave a good review. Your statements about being a subjective review ring true. Almost everyone get something different out of these game types. It is especially important to choose your guild/ raid partners wisely.

9. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

agree with joe on lack of classes though. Ranger gets old after about 5 lvls. The shield thing is kinda worthless. At 66 i have a 6 direction combo attack. You cant change your shield for each part of the combo since no one is that fast. Macro the combo and you make the shield system useless.

PVP isnt basd on skill yet. Ranger gets jump on you, You wont move before you die. They have a trap that locks you in place. That trap folowed by a shot that keeps you locked is 20 seconds of you taking arrows. ( no escape) The arrows do between 3-600 dmg ( got 3.5k hp) im dead before i can move again. And thats without a combo attack that hit for 1.5k.

And theres no skill in the above. All casters including Priest of mitra will kill all melee dps before they even get close enough to attack you. POM has about 5 diffrent cc varients. ( balance Cheesecake ) ( best healer has best CC and above avr dps) (1k smite spam Cheesecake)

10. MrWizard

MrWizard New Member

I want to get this game so bad. Unfortunately for now my wife is vetoing me due to monthly fee and the fact she knows I'll be glued to my PC worse than I am now if she says yes. I just built a friend's system with a Phenom 9850 and an eVGA 9800GX2 and this game looks simply AMAZING on his system. That pretty much clinched the decision for me and I'm currently in the works of wooing the wife into a 'yes'. Wish me luck ...^^

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Coolio. If someone on here has a spare buddy key floating around when they get them I'd be very grateful. :D
    WoW put me off the genre so I'd rather not dive right in and have to start paying.

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Is this a WoW clone or not? Me and my friend are looking for a new game, but I read the review and didn't really get an answer >_<

13. naokaji

naokaji whatever

either this or crack:D
    if that doesnt work, bring out the its 700+ hours every month for less than going with her to the cinema once for 2 hours argument:thumb:

14. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

+1

for me the amount you pay for an MMO in comparison to the quality of gameplay, graphics etc is just not justifiable. its easy money for developers IMHO.

give me a "proper" RPG like Oblivion or The Witcher any day

Tags: Add Tags