1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGEIA PhysX Demo!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atanum141, 10 Apr 2006.

1. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Lo chaps

Well it seems that you can run a Physics demo without actually having the card, all you need to do is download the file and install the engine(not the driver). And it works perfectly!...and i dont even have a PhysX card!

[​IMG]
    Link :clap: :clap:

2. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Nice, really good physics, the cubes react really well with each other.

3. orb

orb satisfying.

Anyone else thing it over-reacts a little bit? When there all on the floor and you throw the ball at it its like some massive implosion..o_O .

4. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

It might look like it overeacts, but it depends on how they have setup the masses of the ball and boxes etc, heavy ball + light boxes = smacked miles.

Does look fantastic though :)

Am really looking forward to having a look at that on a proper hardware accelerated system, it absolutely rapes the CPU when running in software mode!!

5. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

Very sweet - will be nice when it becomes available and is cheep.

Off topic - atanum - whats your wallpaper - me likey wey mucho!

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Takes about 30% to 60% CPU when running, not a huge amount. All it really does is prove the technology isn't quite ready yet.
    If or when I can use the card for other stuff bar physics I might consider one.

7. Elias

Elias What's a Dremel?

BFG Tech

Yep BFG Tech came out with this, it runs in PCI slot and lessens the physics work on the CPU. Sounds good, i just wanna see the demo tho!

"sig" removed - Mister_Tad

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2006
  8. BobCobb

BobCobb What's a Dremel?

When games come out that support the new chips, I will get one. Until then it seems like a waste of money if you already have a good system.

And, how much did that cost Elias?

9. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Ermmm...no BFG did not come out with this. AGEIA came out with this. And BFG are a board partner and simply selling it on just like ASUS and others. TBH its a waste of money.

@Elias: Your Thermaltake watercooling prob isnt very good as they are at the low end of the WC market....good luck with that tho. Also a word of advice is that either resize your signiture or it will be removed for you.

10. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

welli found that little bit of software immence fun. I have a feeling that itll run ALOT faster and with more boxes once you introduce a PPU. It seems smart enough to realise that you dont have one installed so it mught revert to a simpler model of the code to allow a "feel" of what youll get.
    99% on the CPU power is a HELL of a lot.

The software could be used for Bit-Tech's testing and comparason between the two cards (BFG/Asus) as there SHOULD always be some CPU activity when using the software. However we just dont know as of yet.

Ooooooo so exciting! :lol:

11. koola

koola Minimodder

It's cool, but it does really over react. It would be interesting to see them react with real world gravity (if it's not already doing so).

12. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I somehow doubt bit-tech will use anything but actual games for testing, they've shown they aren't really interested in synthetic/fabricated tests/benchmarks by now.
    This would be one case where I definetely agree, its all very well making tech demo's to perfectly use a new piece of hardware's capabilities, but its a very different thing getting it used to anywhere near that potential in practice (and no-ones gonna buy it to run tech demos except for the ludicrously rich right ?)

13. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Yes Bit-tech will be doing real world tests. But This could be used to differentiate between the BFG card (with 128meg of RAM) and the Asus card (with 256meg of RAM). Currently we have no idea if there will be a difference between the cards and there has to be some reason why Asus have thrown more RAM on it.

14. Bladestorm

Thought Asus were doing 128mb for about £150 and BFG 256mb for £199 ?

15. l0rdofthedance

l0rdofthedance What's a Dremel?

it looks really really good. i saw the videos for the game cell factor, which is made by ageia and uses the physx chip. it is awesome. i've never seen explosions and physics like that which were not preprogrammed into the game.

16. HapeMask

HapeMask What's a Dremel?

It seems to use up 100% cpu time when it's idle which seems strange to me, just something I noticed. I wonder however, if you run this on a dual core machine and set the physics process to one core and the game process to another (if the game uses separate processes that is), will you notice any difference in performance between that and a PPU system with a single core?

You can also turn it into an FPS by putting a little piece of tape where the ball comes from and trying to hit the moving boxes :)

17. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

anyone else seem to have noticed its only running in software mode?! is this normal?

18. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

It's normal - it can't run hardware accelerated without a PhysX chip...

19. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

20. Bladestorm

What I want to know right now is wether that was recorded running on 7900GTX SLI, XT1900XTX crossfire, quad-sli of some form, or some sort of developer-level £20,000 graphics cards :hehe: