1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding AGP Extender Mod: Completed 02/02/04

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scifikg, 29 Jan 2004.

1. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

So your saying there is a chance! Yahoo! What kindo numbers are we talkin about here? 1 in 5. 1 in 10.

2. counterclockwise

counterclockwise What's a Dremel?

heh, never underestimate the power of hacking stuff up! get an 80 conductor cable which you're using in that case. assuming you only have 1 hdd, hack off the 3rd connector just above the second, then use that cable (cut in half) for the riser. 2x80 conductors =160, so peel off those you dont need and get soldering (ignore these killjoys, learn by doing dammit!)

3. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

ths a cool mod ma maybe ther is some way you can remove/re-aange something like taht green fan, because if you take that out it look as though it would fit without extending the slot

4. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

the link in his solution bit says they can handel agp8x..... this'll b intresting to watch out for, the comp looks real nice though

5. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

It wont work, so dont bother...

That's a pretty nice (if big) looking laptop you got there :thumb:

6. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

Are you sure that wire is rated for the kind of juice coming from the AGP. I'd hate to power up and watch some of the wires melt. When I volt modded my 9800 pro this happened to me. The card was OK and I finished with better hook up wire, but it gave me one hell of a scare. It would be more conveniant to use that IDE cable. anybody know what kind of juice an 80 pin IDE cable can hold.

7. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

I can't use a simple right angle card cause there isn't quite enough room under the dvd drive and I would have to cut out about a 2cm square piece of the graphics card where the backplate meets case. It's kind of hard to tell from the pic I posted.

Here are more pics of the case. Look at the backplate and you'll see what I mean.

8. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

ld using a slim line dvd help like a laptop one, or maybe you could have the vd drvie verticall?? i dont know i just thought maybe you could re arange some off the components but looking at the pictures it looks as though its a complete mod haveing a graphics card ad emaning that you couldnt move stuff becuasethen there woul be holes and stuff..
    good luck anyway

9. YingKo

YingKo What's a Dremel?

How about you use two of these and hook them together to get the twoist you want.

10. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

It may be possible, but kind of expensive. The flexible risers that I have seen like those say they won't work at 8x. If my original idea doesn't work, I might have to give it a try. thanks.

11. YingKo

YingKo What's a Dremel?

If you do some research you'll find that there isn't alot of difference between 4x and 8x APG in real life gaming. At least that is what I have read.

/edit/ But you are very correct on the expensive part. I did notice the ribbon cable idea above and atleast maybe that verifies that is can be done.

12. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

Ok im just going to role my eyes :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: try it just dont expect it to work! this is from the sight you linked to in your first post:

ps its more than 80 connections. :rolleyes: :wallbash:

13. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

Ouch! No need to hit a modder while he is down. I know what the site says. I linked it. No need to rub it in. Ya know, I'm doing you a favor here. Ya, you. When I finish and if it doesn't work then at least we all will have learned something in the process. Then again, what if it does work. Then you will be eating your words. Better stop right now unless your really hungry.

Anyway, I'm almost finished making the adaptor. If everything goes well, I can post some pics of it maybe some pics of what it displays on the monitor if any. :sigh: However, I found this review of Asus 9600xt They scored 3759 in 3dmark 2k3. My benchmark should be lower since I'm using a 2500 and 2x256 PC3200 Kreton value memory. :D Hopefully, I'll get a score around 3200. Actually, I'd be happy if it just survives a benchmark.

14. Altron

Altron Minimodder

The problem is with attenuation. You could probably get it to work if you solder the ribbon cable directly to the mobo. An AGP card is only designed to have the resistance of 1 connection, with 2 you'll lose many signals. With three it won't work at all.

So, the point is, in the unlikeily event it does work it will be slow and unreliable.

Or, if you don't want to solder to the bottom of your mobo, at least solder the wires directly onto the video card.

By the way, nice Tang Band speakers you've got there. I like the case :thumb:

15. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

Interesting. By attenuation, you mean signal loss right? I noticed that the wire used in those flexible ribbon adaptors is very thin so it creates alot resistance and thus attenuation. Is this right? If I use thicker wire, 16 gauge solid copper wire, this will have less resistance and if I'm lucky reduce attenuation. Is this right? All the connection points on the AGP riser cards, motherboard and video card appear to be gold plated so maybe that will help with the additional connection signal loss.

I had some similar thoughts about soldering one of the AGP isers right to the video card, but then I couldn't return it or sell it if it didn't work, and I don't want to desolder the AGP on the motherboard. I already have abunch of wires soldered to the back and I don't won't to risk lossing that. Plus as I have learned, desoldering a AGP is big pain. I couldn't desolder the whole thing. There were just to many little solder connections still left. I ended up just prying the plastic part of the AGP off then I could delsolder all the little agp pins very easily once I could get hold of them individually.

I also had some thoughts on EMI (elector magnetic interference), I remember learning that a good way to reduce EMI in a bunch of wires is to twist them around one another. Is this right? Basicly what I will be doing is twisting the wires all 90 degrees. Maybe it will be enough to reduce some EMI.

16. RaptorRed

RaptorRed What's a Dremel?

hey dude sorry about the tone of my above post, i had a mad week of exams and work with 6 hours sleep total :eeek: , people said similar things to me when i was doing a wirless usb mod and it pissed me off so just have a go and i hope it works!

17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Attenuation is any resistance in a signal path. I think the biggest source of attenuation is the connectors. The wire is fine, but haivng many connectors creates a lot of attenuation (although gold plating probably helps)

16ga is probably too hard to solder, the 30 or so gauge in ribbon cables is fine.

However, I would check to be sure that the connectors are very tight, this will improve the signal.

18. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

To add my two cents, you would probably have better luck fitting it and getting it to work by rearranging some of the components.

By how far is the DVD drive in the way? Can you get away with a slimline? etc...

You will get signal loss, cross talk, and all manner of problems with a home soldered solution and even with a storebought solution. Im not saying it won't work, what I am saying is at best it will work like the stuff that goes in the toilet, and at worst you will screw your card up...

Personally I'd rearrange and not screw with anything over a 90o riser.

19. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

Good News It works so far, but it took a little bit of troubleshooting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are actually pics of my second attempt. The first time around I had the graphics card twisted around the other way, but half the graphics card was lying over the DVD drive, but I realized that it would fit perfectly if rotated the card. Luckily, An extender that I mdae for the VGA cord was just long enough to fit this way. Then I carefully twisted the AGP extender the other way.

When I first powered on the computer, I had no problems. Windows loaded. I installed the 9600xt drivers and restarted. Then as it started loading, the screen went black, and I got an error telling me that my 9600xt driver wasn't working correctly or not installed. Then I rebooted windows and ran windows in safe mood. I went to ASUS.com got the latest driver and restarted. This time windows loaded, but there were artifacts in some place just on my desktop. I tried loading Halo, but I got an error from saying my graphics card wasn't recognized. At this point, I figured I was screwed so I figured maybe I could turn down settings from 8x to 4x in bios. So I restarted, but my bios didn't exactly have this option. It has two parameters for AGP 8x enable/disable and AGP fastwrites enable/disable. I disabled both and restarted. And, EURIKA. Everything worked perfect. I played a level of Halo which was kind of akward with the keyboard half on and half off my case. Then I restarted and enabled 8x in bios and still everything was looking good when I loaded windows. I did a benchmark with 3dmark 2k1 as you can see. I couldn't find my 2k3 version in the disaster area that is my room. At this point, I just started freaking out watching the video card kind of hovering over the motherboard and working perfectly. I scored 10407. That site I referenced earlier scored 12902 with a better CPU and memory. I was stunned. :jawdrop: I felt like tom hanks in cast away when he finally started a fire.

As for the adapter, you may have noticed that extra wire on the back of one card. That is a lifted trace repair. I lifted another trace, but I was able to repair that one. I also had at least 4 of the outside wires break off as I was soldering some of the inside wires. The repair of these wire lead to the lifted traces. Then another wire broke when I twisted the adapter so I just soldered it to the back of the board. Finally, I checked the continuity of all 124 wires and the wires next to each wire three times. This took a long time. I had to take a break every 31 wires to keep from going mad.

Ya, I can't believe this worked either.

Although I'm very pleased with these results, I don't think I can declare victory till I can find a way to mount the card so that the adapter doesn't move around, and who knows what other problems will prop up down the road.

20. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

omfg i cant believe this works!?

oh well, seems i was a doubting thomas, and i gotta go eat some of that proverbial humble pie...

i honestly cant see this holding up well, but then again, i never expected it to work at all! good job, well done, and keep us updated on wether or not it lives up to everyday use ;)

well done mate, seriously, ****ing well done!