1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding AGP Extender Mod: Completed 02/02/04

Discussion in 'Modding' started by scifikg, 29 Jan 2004.

1. DeadTeddy

DeadTeddy What's a Dremel?

/respect ON

2. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

I'd pry the plastic piece of first with a small flat head screwdriver. Just pry a little on each side till it comes off. Then I'd desolder the pins and put them back in the plastic slot.Then I'd put the circuit board in the slot and test the continuity of all wires a couple times. Finally, I'd solder the slot in and let her rip. good luck.

3. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

I feel your pain. :wallbash: That is the only commercial product that could possibly work. I never tried it though. If you get it, could you let us know how it performs and what kind of problems you encountered.

4. Carbon

Carbon Banned

rofl!

Great work, Well done.

5. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

How the hell did you get that screen wired up?

What screen is it form a laptop?

Do you have any guides on how to do this? And how hard it is, as i would love to build a breifcase pc?

ANYONE?

6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I've had some e-mail correspondence with him, it is a regular LCD that he removed from the casing.

There is a thread in Electronics that iwll tell you how to get a laptop screen running.

7. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

its people like you who make this world a terrible place to live :hehe:

8. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

wtf is that supposed to mean?

i was merely enquiring, as i have a very limited knowledge of computers and electronics, sorry if we are not all perfect but, there are some people like you who have to take the p*** out of everyone

its people like you who make the world a worse place to live in!

9. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

i would suggest being nice to eachother before someone gets banned/suspended.

the lcd faq is over in the electronics section here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=44604 and includes links to why it's rather cost-ineffective to try to wire a laptop lcd to work on standard RGB or DVI from the back of a desktop video card.

10. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

ok ok, just havin a dig back!!!

just a laugh doesnt matter, thanx for the link!! and no hard felling agent

11. Altron

Altron Minimodder

12. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

i'm sorry dude, i was just kidding. i've seen quite a few threads with people getting excited about laptop lcds, i probably even wrote one. i tried to show i was joking with the :hehe: but i'm not surprised it didnt work :p

13. philb

philb What's a Dremel?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :thumb:

14. Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter What's a Dremel?

Dude that is god damned sweet...good work and i like the case...very neat...

15. scifikg

scifikg What's a Dremel?

The LCD monitor is a Planar PL150. Sorry for the late reply. I don't have a guide. I disassembled the LCD. I used an old ide cable wire ATA33 soldered to the LCD VGA port. Next I soldered 12V and ground to it. Then I just bolted it to the lid. There are more high resolution pics on my site. It wasn't all that difficult.

16. Tholek

Tholek What's a Dremel?

Bloody brilliant.....

The last time I saw a PC like that, it was being used to reprogram the trajectory of an ICBM in flight. :D

I'm so glad to learn that those flexible AGP extenders are not restricted to 2-4x by physics, but by the quality of wire they are using! (Seperate, shielded, and stranded is only way to go!)

If you, or anyone else starts producing this in quantity, I certainly could use at least one, if not a few, as I have a few NLX machines that could use ATX cards if I had your extender. (My hands really aren't steady enough to solder those fine connections)

Necessity TRULY is the mother of invention....kudos to you. :rock:

17. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Wow, that's a truly amazing bit of work. And hey, now you can game away to your hearts content to make up for the tediousness of all that soldering. Just plain wow. :eeek:

18. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Careful of the physics thing, there are lots of transmission line equations to deal with. In this case, I belive that the (low) current through the wires combined with the physical seperation of the wires makes a system with a small amount of coupling between conductors. Coupling is generally bad unless you want a coupler. It basically 'slows' down the signal in the wire, and can cause cross talk. Looking at the other adaptors out there, I cna see their problems, small conductors in very close proximity means transmission line headaches. That and striplines are a royal pain in the butt to work, RF and PCB don't mix well.

19. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

IT worked !!! your SHuitting me!

damn mad props to you sir :D

20. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Nicley done. Are you thinking of covering the area below the keyboard?