1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGP vs PCI-E Is AGP going to die???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by G4m3R_X3r0, 21 Sep 2004.

?

Will PCI-E Replace AGP??

Poll closed 21 Oct 2004.
  1. YES - PCI-E is the new way to go for graphics!

50 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. NO - AGP will still be around and they will keep upping the speed.

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys i figured i'd come here to see what you all think, A friend and I got in to an argument awhile back about the future of AGP. HE said it is not going to disapear and someone is just going to up the speed on it. I said PCI-E is going to replace AGP just like PCI replaced ISA. so in your opinions what do you think it's going to be??

2. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

PCI-E is here to replace AGP and PCI.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

In short, the answer to your question is that AGP will eventually die... but I don't see it happening for a long while yet.

Current games do not utilise the AGP's bus at the moment, so there is no need for the extra bandwidth that PCI-Express provides. We may see things change when R520/NV50 turn up on the doorstep, as I have no doubt that these will be native PCI-Express. Things will slowly move towards PCI-Express, natively, but there will still be the bridge back to AGP for a long while yet IMHO. (at least another two years)

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

I'm curious who voted no.....

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I didn't vote either way, because I don't believe that it's an immediate decision you should be making. Whichever path you choose to take at the moment, the performance will be the same :)

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How long will AGP last? Vote now..

Long while? i disagree.

My guess is Q105 will be the last lot of chipsets to have AGP, and even then none of the top range stuff will have it.

7. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Yea i am thinking the same ad bindi. AGP cards will still be available for a while so everyone can upgrade there little Pentium 3 systems to have a X800 :D

8. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

There is no hope for AGP in the long run. As everyone said, in the short run it still has some legs. The only question is when will it die. There are a lot of factors to this question - so much so that specific speculation is folley.

For example, if the economy turns sour, it will be a very long time before PCI-E gets traction. If the economy rockets, there will be a big rush by the industry to shove PCI-E down everyones throat.

9. xckid082488

xckid082488 Banned

I saw some recent benchmarks and pci-e wasnt as fast as agp is 90% of the games, and when pci-e was ahead it was up 1-2 fps which is nothing.

10. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

That is no suprise. its not like AGP was bottlenecking us.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It'll take a while, but AGP will die. End of story. Two reasons: (essentially) unlimited bandwidth expandibility with PCIE and Intel is pushing it. And what intel wants, intel gets - they have a bunch of OEMs to back them up.

Right now there's no performance difference but what we allowed is future bandwidth. RAID cards especially on PCIE 1x or 4x slots will no longer be so bandwidth-starved (my 8port SATA raid card w/ two RAID0 raptors puts them down to one 7200RPM drive sustained transfer equivalent in a PCI slot).

My prediction is that by early 2006 (or even earlier), AGP will be like the ISA slot and SIMMs - gone. Probably classic PCI too.

12. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

you are of course forgetting that pci-e allows for SLI fun :D

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Its a classic example of first gen chipsets and first gen drivers vs x gen chipsets and x gen drivers.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah if you have a dual xeon server mobo (only one I've seen with a 16x and 4x socket)...

15. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

Yes well, if you remember, when the first locomotives came out, horse drawn buggies could beat them or at least give them a race. Have you been in a horse drawn carrage recently though?

16. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

wow, never thought i would end up with this many responces to an argument a friend and I had. keep it coming guys, i'm getting well educated through all this.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's cause nothing truely dual PEG is out until later this year.

18. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Whilst AGP 8x provides more than enough bandwidth at the moment there are other things to consider, like power, the agp bus doesn't provide enough for modern day graphics cards (which is the reason you have to plug your psu directly into todays cards).

PCI-E will take over and I imagine soon, it surely doesn't make sense to keep producing it, having 2 different production lines is not cost effective.

I would say late Q1 early Q2 though, and agp gfx will still be produced most of next year.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

AGP is going to take a long while to "die out" as there are so many people out there with AGP ports who want to upgrade their AGP cards (like us for example). While there's still life in AGP, chances are they'll keep making cards for it, at least for a couple of years anyway. :)

20. ICDragon

ICDragon What's a Dremel?

Once the new cards start coming out for PCI-E, that will be the end o AGP (from a production standpoint). not saying that no one will use AGP anymore, just that they won't make anyting new for it, and so eventually wall will be raplaced by PCI-E, untill the next new thing comes along (AGP 32x maybe?)