Cooling AIOMG

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sentinel-R1, 4 Feb 2018.

1. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

Well, after leaving my PC on downloading last night whilst asleep, I wake up this morning to the fans going full pelt. A quick look at the mobo's CPU temp readout and it's pegged at 99C. Quickly pull the plug out, allow to cool down.

After 30 mins, I stick a pencil on the Kraken X62 pump and put it to my ear and power it on again. Kraken pump RGBs on but nothing pumping, not even a hum. SATA power is fine, tested with spare HDD. This is the 2nd AIO out of 4 I've owned that's gone tits up. 1x Corsair H115i and now the Kraken... leaving me seriously doubting Asetek's reliability. At least both failed within their warranty period; however, 50% failure rate for me as an individual.

Luckily, I've got a D15-S laying around, which has gone straight on. No damage to CPU or motherboard. The CAM software detected a malfunction with the Kraken at around 2am, so it was essentially boiling itself until 0900hrs this morning. Thank god EVGA make rock solid motherboards.

I'm now totally done with AIOs. Never, ever again.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

How come the pc didn't shut itself down?

I have had two pc's hit these temps due to user error, one where I completely forgot to attach the cooler and the other I believe still had the plastic cover on the cooler (most embarrasing) and shut down by themselves.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2018
  3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

No idea! This is the first time I've hit TJMax with this Z170 board so until this morning, I'd no idea how it'd behave.

I guess it might have still been detecting a CPU cooler and therefore didn't shut down. Either way, I got off lightly!!

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I don't know if Real Temp still works with current CPUs but on my system I have it configured that if the temperature of the CPU hits 70ºC or the GPUs hit 55ºC then a batch file runs that shuts the system down using:

shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00

There must be other programs that do a similar thing.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

Yeah, I could have used that but now I've got the air cooler on, not really much to go wrong in the future! Thank christ... bloody AIOs.

6. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

99°C is not enough to actually trigger overtemp protection (that kicks in well north of 100°C). A modern CPU can throttle itself to easily stay within TjMax without needing to shut down completely. It'll run slower, but it won't do any damage.
    We're a long way from the days where CPUs would let the smoke out if you ran them without a heatsink!

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  7. nimbu

nimbu Well-Known Member

I have slowly moved back from AIO to air cooling with Nocturna being my choice. Solid sinks and fans no faf.

With the all in ones I have an extra mess of cables, extra software, stock fans being loud and finally the risk of catastrophic failure.

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Morse Monkey

Yeah, I have to agree. OK, I've taken a slight hit in idle temps, maybe 2 or 3C but load temps are actually on par. The only downside is the noise at full load, it's considerably louder; however, that's only when benching. In game, there's no noticeable difference at all really. I could sit and tweak the Grid V3 profiles but I'll let it auto-manage.