1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air cooling suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steven Tarise, 26 Feb 2007.

1. Steven Tarise

Steven Tarise What's a Dremel?

I've got an AMD X2 4600+ (S939) with an old style Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 idling around 46degC, reaching 60 or so under load. My case is a Coolermaster Wavemaster with the standard 80mm fans. The motherboard is an early revision A8N-SLi with the small and noisy Northbridge cooler (partially obscured by the dual slot cooler on my 8800GTS), idling at 35degC, going up to about 45 under load. Oh, and a pair of painful eardrums. I've got good airflow space through my case, but the noise it a bit annoying when not gaming. Can anyone recommend a more effecient CPU cooler and Northbridge cooler, as well as some reasonable case fans for a decent amount of noise? Not too concerned with budget, just not willing to go water cooled on this rig. Maybe on the next one.

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

im not real familiar with temps for those chips...seems like ur cooler ought to be a good one though...someone with some amd skills will chime in im sure...good luck

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

For a CPU-cooler I'd go straight to the Scythe! I'm not sure but I think you can install one to that mobo without any issues (better check that before though). The chipset is a harder one. I used to have a K8N-sli Diamond motherboard that had the same stupid location for a northbridge and a noisy 40 mm fan on it. TBH I can't help you with that one. You could change the graphics card to the lower slot and make the cooler more accessible? Then you could install an aftermarket Zalman or Thermalright cooler to it?

There you have a list of good fans. Nexus ***.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article689-page1.html

4. Steven Tarise

Ah, brilliant. Just went looking for Nexus fans, and found the cooling site I couldn't think of the other day. But how do they compare to Papst fans?

Does anyone have any experience with the Thermalright HR-05-SLI Chipset Cooler? It says that it will fit on my motherboard, and I can always throw on a slow 70mm fan to aid if needed.

The temps aren't massively wrong, far from it, I'm just looking to reduce noise and lower my temps to see if I can pull any more juice out of this system. Also, I'm thinking that it's not too warm over here right now, but come summer time, this room tends to get roasty toasty.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The HR-5 is supposed to be a great cooler, and they certainly look very good. I've had a lot of Thermalright products over the years, and none have been anything short of awesome.

Try the Scythe, which is a beast of a 'sink.

For fans, don't worry about buying the best straight-off, get a fan controller and a couple of 3-pin splitter cables, and it'll see you right. Does your motherboard have any good fan-control? My DFI is absolutely awesome for fan control, and it keeps this system ticking over silently (other than the WC pump) without even breaking a sweat. Even when I aircooled, it was still awesome, much better than any fan controller because it was dynamic for the temperature. :)

6. Steven Tarise

Ok, was just reading up on a few on these things because I'm looking to get them for my birthday in 2 weeks, and found one place which said that the Scythe will not fit in a Wavemaster (the case I use). Can anyone confirm or deny this bit of information? Also, can anyone recommend a fancontroller that would work properly in a Wavemaster without inpeeding the door? Would prefer to not get something stupidly expensive.

EDIT: I did check the website for sizes, and it says 150mm tall which would fit in my case, but it doesn't state whether or not this includes the mounting bracket, so if someone could tell me the height from the motherboard to the very top of the heatsink or fan (whichever is taller), that'd be grand.

7. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

scythe infinity ***. Its a GREAT heatsink, i have one. OC'ed my e6600 to 3.8 with t before wcing

edit: why does this block f t w ?

Last edited: 21 Mar 2007
  8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have the AMD Athlon X2 4400+ (S939). So quiet close to you.
    I have the Zalman CNPS9700 LED with Zalman fan-mate (comes with it, just make sure you have it)
    At lowest speed (which is my current configuration)

I'm very peeky with noisy computers, yet don't have money for Water colling system.
    I have a basic Antec Case... drive rails, fornt air filter and removable drive sage are it's
    features... nothing else. (Antec SX-600-II if I remember correctly (it got removed from Antec site))

I have a zalman fan for my GPU and heatpitpe for my mobo (ASUS A8N32-SLI). Currently, the loudest part of my computer is my HDD motor... You do hear the air circulating... but very hard (less noisy then HDD motor). My HDD is a Western Digital 250GB SATA-II with 16MB of Buffer.
    [edit]
    The way I say it, it seams that my HDD is very noisy... but it's not, it's quiet compared to other HDD I used.
    [/edit]

Temps: (basic usage (winamp internet radio + Trillian + Firefox)) (EVEREST Ultimate Edition 2006 say RIGHT NOWs:)
    - Motherboard: 39C (102F)
    - CPU: 42C (108F) (when is really idle it's at 39C)
    - GPU: 48C (118F)
    - GPU AMbient 39C (102F)
    - WDC WD2500KS (HDD) 47C (117F)

Under heavy load, the CPU goes at 46-47C.

9. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Thermalright Ultra 120 > *

10. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I'd take a Scythe any day. Awesome cooler tho alittle warning read this thread( http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=125238 ). Make sure you attach the cooler on properly. It wasn't the HSF's fault rather than the retention clip giving out. But i must say the way Scythes attach on a AMD system is pretty silly.

11. Steven Tarise

I'm sold on the Scythe Ninja, but I'm still concerned about clearance between it and my case side panel. Can anyone clear this up?

atanum, what was the final outcome of that little "adventure"? The thread kind of trailed off, and I'm all excited to know what happened now.

12. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

lol, well nothing.
    I fixed the pins and got a nice new retention clip off a nice forum member for free and thats that. My pc has been on since then and the HSF is holding up nicely.

Oh i forgot to say that i run it passivly. but with good air flow. It should fit fine on the wavemaster tho it might be a tight fit.

And the 939/AM2 clip is a right ******* to put on.