1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Air vs Water cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adidas, 8 Jun 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

Hi - I've spent quite a while hunting for review of watercooking kits and 'regular' air heatsinks for p4 (socket 775). I was quite surprised to learn that watercooling kits usually don't cool as well as the top-of-the-range air heatsinks. For example:

- results for p4 air heatsinks:
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/p4sum.asp

- results from waterkits:
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/waterkit.asp

I chose that example because the reviewer has been using a solid testing platform (the same simulated CPU die) for both systems.

With fans blowing on the radiator, I can't imagine much benefit using watercooled systems in terms of noise emission.

In terms of price, it suffices to say that the best watercooling kits, the asetek l30 costs upward of 180 quids, when the best air solution costs well, erm, less than 40. Yet the difference in performance between the two is minimal.

So now I'm really confused. Obviously there's always the 'cool' factor, I suppose.

Steve

2. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

update

I should have mentionned that I posted this thread in another forum a while back. The answer I receive was something like "well for the long run or oc'ing water is better". But frankly I still can't see how water would be better if dissipate the same ammount of heat as air.

I'd love to find some more comparative reviews of water vs air. Any pointers?

Steve

3. adidas

adidas What's a Dremel?

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not only that, but there is such a thing as the "EDIT" button as well. ;)

Welcome to the forums, adidas. Come on in, the water is lovely (so to speak :D ). Seeing as you found the right thread to answer your questions, I will close this one now.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.