1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Airbrushing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Harddiskdriver1, 14 Nov 2009.

1. Harddiskdriver1

Harddiskdriver1 What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone!
    I've spray painted controller casings and the like before, but i want to get into painting designs on PC and games console cases. I came across airbrushing and thought it was quite a good idea.
    My question is: What gear should i start off with and how much will this cost me? Also, is it even worth trying?
    Thanks in advance ... im a bit of a newcomer to modding so any help is appreciated :).

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

If it's a one time paint job then just go with a rattle can

if you plan on painting alot then buy a decent air brush

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

You want a double-action brush rather than a single action. Single-action are on/off, with no real control (they often have paint flow adjustment knobs, but they're usually only adjustable with the airflow off). Double-action allow you to vary the paint flow with a high degree of precision.
    If you're just trying things out, a cheap knock-off Chinese airbrush from Ebay will do. If you find it useful, Iwata's airbrushed are highly recommended, but rather expensive (£80 and up)

4. craigp84

craigp84 What's a Dremel?

I dunno if it helps, but i do some R/C flying and those guys tend to be quite into airbrush techniques etc. some of the designs i've seen are really intricate. Might be worth googling their techniques -- they're v open, lots of info on how they do it.

Never really understood the point in 30hrs+ to build a plane, 10hrs+ to paint it, 1hrs- to crash it.

-c

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

A whole hour of flight before you 're-kit' it? You'll be lucky. :D

+1 for Iwata, BTW. Some of Badger's stuff (the more expensive stuff!) I found OK too, but I don't own one.

6. Harddiskdriver1

Harddiskdriver1 What's a Dremel?

thanks everyone!
    just to be really annoying, what paint should i be using?

7. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Depends what kind of finish you're after... I'd stick with gloss if you're just starting out, it seems to be the cheapest stuff

8. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

+1 to iwata, i used to airbrush for a job, Iwata never let me down, same airbrush for over 3 years daily airbrushing.

best way to get advice on paints is to talk to a paint supplier and tell them the finish your looking for.

however, you wont be able to airbrush a whole case, e.g. the base color or top coat, as the airbrush just wont be able to push enough paint through... imagine trying to paint a fence using a ronseal pencil rather than a 6inch brush.

i would highly recommend a "pack" off ebay for starting out, compressor, hose and airbrush for like £60. for solvent paints (smelly and bad for you) i'd use approx 30psi for waterbased from 40 to 70psi. and when you're finished painting, clean the airbrush else if you use solvent paints you'll never use it twice.