1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Akasa Zen Modding help :)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by shaffaaf27, 15 Jun 2008.

1. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

Hello. i have an Akasa Zen, and want a Antec 1200, but i though ill save the money and mod.

ATM, i have nothing, so will need your help on tools, and how to mods etc :clap:

ok so, i want a window, black interior (from the original no window and steel interior) and i want to mod the mobo tray so i can increase cable management.

the front fan is essentially closed off to fresh air, so i want to mod the front to open a hole where it is. this will mean i have to cut out the buttons (power and reset) and the HDD light and power light. i will then need extenders for thier wires to the mobo, and buttons for reset and power.

i have 3 DVD drives free, so would like to mod them to stick in a fan there, and wind tunnel it with another fan at the end of the dvd drive cages.

also, then im sure i would need an outtake fan at the top, next to the PSU, do id need that aswell.

how much would i be looking to spend for tools pain fan (quiet ones) ETC.

and where would i get them from, i have a close BNQ and halfords. hopefully eevrthing under £50?

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

You are on the right forum to find ideas, sources, and links to tools and supplies. Just wander through modding or project logs and you will probably find your answers. It's a good way to learn techniques and get helpful ideas.
    John

3. shaffaaf27

aye been looking around. but still not sure on the correct tools and prices for quality/price ratio.

im pretty sure of the paint though, and the primer.

and all the insides of the case are riveted, would that stop my attempt to paint?

4. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Nope, riveting shouldn't stop you from being paint it... unless the top is riveted on, in which case you need to remove that in order to paint the rest of the frame.

A lot of people recommend the old Dremel (TM) as the modder's tool of choice. Go for a nice branded one, and the cheaper ones will cost less than £40.
    When I got started, a coping saw, with an assortment of blades, a drill, and a small mouse sander were my tools of choice. A Jig-saw also comes in very useful.
    I got a lot of my tools from: http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Home-&-Leisure/cat/DIY---Power-Tools?refmen=tn
    Very cheap, and highly recommended if you are a small time hobbyist like me.

To get started, you'll be needing to dismantle your case, and to paint your frame, go for some acrylic car paint, from Halfords, and a couple of cans + primer + assorted sand paper will cost you less than £20.

To make a window, you need to drill a hole, and get a saw in there. This shouldn't be too much trouble as a drill and a saw usually hide in your garage somewhere. Then you need some acrylic, which if you look around t'internet, should cost <£10, and you'll need some bolts and screws to hold it on. Windows are usually a goof place to start off, and some internet modding shops do kits as well so have a look around.

Our good friend Bill started off the old favourite, the Turbine Mod: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=139074 which is definitely worth trying, and should open up the front for you.

What is it you want to do to the mobo tray?

Your cooling idea seems good - might I suggest some ducting/piping to make the cool air specifically to the parts where you need it most - over the mobo's chipset - over the CPU fan and the GPU - and the HDD as well.

Remember to start off small. Take your time. And have a close look around the forums - some of the very best are here doing what they do - its how I learned. :D. It also helps to know as much as you can about computers, so your modding can be as effective as possible.

Hope it helps
    MGT

5. shaffaaf27

ok cheer m8 for the reply.

everything seems to be riveted, all the HDD cages and the optical drive cages. the roof and the floor are also riveted. i have NO tools what so ever, but i am sure i can borrow a drill. so i assume i will need to buy a hole saw (for the mobo holes, for cable management, and to cut a hole in the front of the case), a jigsaw (for the side panel) something to cut fan holes for the fans, buttons, thanks for the recommendation for the paints, i will get them (but why is sand paper used?). if i have these why will i need dremel? or will dremel me to have all those tools within itself, so it leads to me not needing to buy all those tools?

6. shaffaaf27

right saw the video. i guess i wont need dremel. i have a wikes near me, so ill pop in there aswell :)

just need to know sizes (obviously a 4.5inch holesaw) and how powerfull the drill will have to be, because im a student on a budget, so i dont want to be ripped of.