1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Alcohol-Free booze recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 26 Dec 2021.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Merry Christmas all,

As Asda is our supermarket of choice for the big shop, I do frequent the alcohol isle specifically around Christmas time and know how pitiful the AF section tends to be when you’re designated driver.

This year I had to pop into a Morrisons and realised things have moved on a bit since I last checked and AF is no longer a sad 6 pack of Becks Blue.

Having since scoured the internet it seems a few brands have really upped their game on the alcohol free front. I did want to cut down on my alcohol intake in 2022 and this seems like a great opportunity to do so! We did pick up an alcohol free Tanqueray gin and while it did smell distinctively like gin from the bottle it didn’t sell me on the taste front. (Maybe needs further testing!)

Does anyone have recommendations of good alcohol free beers, wines or otherwise that they’d recommend?

2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

3. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

[​IMG]

If'n you don't want to drink, don't drink.
    I don't get why alcohol free beer exists in the same way I don't get how meat shaped tofu exists.
    Although I do miss Carlsberg Citrus, a super low alcohol beer @ less than 3%, and yes I'm a hypocrite who vapes rather than smokes

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

People like the taste of beer but don't want to consume alcohol for whatever reason. Not rocket science.
    I've been enjoying Free Damm over Christmas

5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I’m yet to find an alcohol free beer that tastes like beer. It’s usually watery and a bit “meh”.. going to watch this with interest.

6. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

I can't comment on Tofu, but as a regular driver and definite lightweight I have to say that alcohol free beer is a welcome product if it tastes more than half decent.
    A Becks + Blue 'shandy' is half the alcohol of a full pint for example.
    Also, an evening on endless soft drinks gives you the feeling that your teeth are dissolving...
    I've only tried it once, but I hear that Heineken 0.0 is good and the draft version they are rolling out is better.
    AF Erdinger is pretty good too if you're into wheat beer.

7. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Quite possibly, but as above it beats dissolving teeth!

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Erdinger Alkoholfrei 0.5%,
    Guinness 0.0
    Shipyard low tide
    Heiniken and peroni are ok too.

9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Brewdog's Punk AF is the best I've found, but Nanny State was also decent.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

True fact: I've never had a hangover from drinking alcohol, but alcohol free beer gives me a headache.

LennyRhys and The_Crapman like this.
  11. rma

rma Minimodder

Perhaps switching to alcohol free beer gives you enough time to sober up and feel the hangover? :)

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Nope. Hangovers are phantom, conjured by people who cannot cope.

13. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I can understand that, and in which case my non confrontational answer to the OP would be, No, of the ones I've come across they're all rubbish.

Edit, I tell a wee lie, Adnams Ghost Ship @ 0.5% isn't terrible, but after 2 you start to get a weird cloying taste similar to licking a damp flannel.

S'why you stick to 'drink of choice' Max or Zero options.
    Aside from the naff taste I tend to avoid alcohol free beers as they generally contain more sugar and carbs then regular beer, I looked into them when I went low carb earlier in the year

Arboreal likes this.
  14. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

FTFY :thumb:

The_Crapman and David like this.
  15. The_Crapman

Shitty ones like Becks blue or *shudder* kaliber can do that while you're drinking them too.
    I get full on migraine hangovers, but I am crap so this is to be expected. They're "mostly" consistent in the amount of alcohol required for one, but occasionally I'll get one from 4 pints that's very unjust, or will drink a herculean amount and be perfectly fine the next day.
    I would rather sickle a dead dogs dick than drink diet or sugar free beverages. If I want a beverage devoid of nice flavour or calories I'll have a glass of water.

I really ****ing hate jamie oliver.

16. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

I'd sooner die of thirst that drink 'just' water :happy:
    Jack Sprat could eat no fat, His wife could eat no lean, 'taste' is so personal and individual that there's just no substitute for trying everything for yourself, s'why I still have one spoon of yogurt and one brussel sprout a year, despite wife & daughter telling me they're better now than they used to be they still taste like crap.

I do miss Carlsberg Citrus, although at 2% it might not qualify for being low alcohol, but damn that was so refreshing and nearly guilt free.

17. The_Crapman

Well it does depend on the quality. Warw'ah should be avoided, but a crisp glass of chilled tarp is ok. I often find I don't get much thirst quenching from water and will just down a glass every now and then, especially with my meds as they tend to be a bit diuretic. When I used to play golf I would always take squash not water, as it actually felt like my mouth was suitably moistened after.

I remember there being a bit of a fad for low-alcohol turbo shandy one summer. There was a fosters one too, likely a few others, a Carling variant no doubt. You could probably recreate it with a beer and some cloudy lemonade.

18. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Radler, not bad, but again in comes / came in at 2%, not as refreshing as Carlsberg Citrus, and that cloudy lemonade always felt like it was stripping the enamel.

I've still got a bottle of the Carlsberg in my fridge, just can't bring myself to drink it as it's probably the last bottle in the world, and then I'll be forever faced with the dread that I'll never be able to have one again, which health wise is probably a good thing as it went down easy, but disappointing at the same time.

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This seems like a good site: https://steadydrinker.com/ (Albeit naturally it's all super subjective.)

A lot of the best ones there aren't necessarily pop-into-the-supermarket widely available, but in I've had Lucky Saint quite often and it's really good.

20. The_Crapman

I had a beer that I kept for ages. Was a staff only special run from a brewery closure that I got a crate of. One of the nicest beers I've ever had. Kept it till my next birthday I think.