1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Alien: Isolation Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 7 Oct 2014.

1. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

Perhaps all this talk of Xeno vs xeno is what led to the X/x being dropped altogether in one instance ;)

"a reason to fear the enomorph"

2. RickLane

RickLane Staff Staff

Since you mention it, just going to make clear that we'll have a review of Shadow of Mordor going up on Friday. I received review code very late, and decided to focus on getting Alien done.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Active Member

Thank the gods you did this Review first, as while I was apprehensive as to whether Alien: Isolation would actually be any good, it looks so much better than Shadow of Mordor... which to me, looks a bit trashy.

I will definitely get round to playing this game having read this review, however as punishment for Rome 2 (release state) and Colonial Marines (still a turd), I won't be paying full price for it.

4. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Member

Great review ...except...

How far up amd/nvidia product stack do we have to go inorder to play the game at it's highest settings?

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it plays nice with ultra settings on my radeon R9 280X with 4GB VRAM

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

rick - how does cpu performance matter with both this and lotr?

Last edited: 7 Oct 2014
  7. RickLane

RickLane Staff Staff

I played the game with a core i5 and a GTX 660, and got a decent framerate on all-high settings with something like 1-2 SMAA.

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Wow. Really interested in this. However, abrupt ending is my biggest pet peeve in games.... so..... hmmmm....... :(

9. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

Don't deny yourself the journey just because the destination is a bit crap. :)

10. t5kcannon

t5kcannon Member

I look forward to reading it :)

11. pbryanw

pbryanw Member

Yep, and at least Rick didn't give away what the ending involved, which the Eurogamer review does to a certain extent.

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Not that I like getting sucked into side arguments (Although I must say, they are my speciality of late!)..

Where have you learned that it is generally accepted to be "THE Xenomorph"? I've only seen a few examples of people mistakingly using Xenomorph as a species name, and always it's been shouted down by those with a better grasp of word usage.

While I am not the worlds biggest expert on the Alien series, I would wager I have watched the movies more times, and read more about the movies than most people have had hot dinners.

Aliens (especially that specific movie) is one of 'my things'. Don't get me started.

Seeing the species referred to as Xenomorph is as rare as hens teeth and significantly less common than seeing "LEGOS" which is even more annoying!

I scratch built my own M41A Pulse Rifle a couple of decades ago. Not many Mums at the school drop off can claim that!

13. David

Oh, we DEFINITELY need pics of that! :rock:

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

Hudson: Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?

Gorman: All we know is that there's still no contact with the colony, and that a xenomorph may be involved.

Frost: Excuse me sir, a-a what?

Gorman: A xenomorph.

Hicks: It's a bughunt

15. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Staff

Okay so I picked this up based on the review, no regrets. This game has probably the most amazing atmosphere I've ever experienced, it's literally like stepping into the movie. Not only that, but IMO the visuals are stunning, maxed out this is a very pretty game, easily rivals something like Star Citizen having played both. The attention to detail is amazing, not to mention I love how physical Ripley seems. She genuinely feels like part of the world, but in a much less clunky way than in SC (comparing purely because of the similar visual style and heftiness of the character), that's a tough mix to get just right. I'm anxious to see how I'll be able to handle hard mode, I've decided that to maximise the effect I'll only be playing late at night, so no weekend afternoon stints.

16. David

I saw an amusing comment on the RPS review:

:lol:

17. -=DarkStar=-

-=DarkStar=- New Member

Just joined the site because I had to comment on your excellent review. Got the game yesterday and am only a few hours into it, but your review totally matches my view of the game this far. And this is from someone who's never particularity enjoyed the survival horror genre and never liked stealth games.

It really is something special and I don't think I've ever experienced anything like it before. Plenty of games have had moments sheer terror and caused the occasional adrenaline rush (storming the beach in the original Medal of Honour springs to mind), but nothing comes close to this for the level of fear it manages to consistently maintain. And it's mostly down to the incredible soundscape of the game; it's rarely what you see that gets the adrenaline pumping, but all the little noises around you. Or when your tracker suddenly pings and you don't know why....

Speaking of adrenaline rushes, I genuinely think this game should carry some sort of health warning. No film I've ever watched, or game I've ever played, or indeed any extreme sport I've ever tried, has kept me in such a constant heightened state. I'm not a youngster any more and I stopped playing after an hour or so in the couple of sessions I've played as I was actually a little worried that being in such a state for so long probably wasn't doing my heart any favours. Especially the first time the alien found me and I ran and hid in a cupboard, only for it to suddenly rip the door off just as I thought I'd escaped....

One last point on the specs. I was stunned to find that it runs beautifully on my ageing gaming rig with all the setting at max. I didn't think my poor old Phenom II 965 and Radeon 6970 would ever be able to run a AAA game at max again, but this looks absolutely stunning and the frame rate never noticeably drops.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Started playing this last night - got up to the first stealth mission before it was bedtime. First impression is that there's a lot of love for the franchise there, even down to the spot-on recreation of the scratched-VHS visuals on the ship's monitors in Alien for the loading screens. Also: FEET! Holy crap, I have feet, I'm not just a floating camera! Okay, I don't appear to have anything above the knee, but still - feet! (Incidentally, I'd be concerned about a diagnosis of meningitis given that Ripley Junior appears incapable of touching her chin to her chest in order to see anything more than the tips of her toes when she looks down. Might also explain the odd lens flares when she looks at bright light...)

I saw Joe complaining about the massive number of minigames on Twitter over the weekend, but I've not got that far yet. I'm somewhat dismayed to find two major survival horror tropes present and correct so far, though: the classic route-blocked-by-knee-high-obstacles, which is always a pleasure^Wpain; and the even-more-classic doors-locked-by-various-mechanisms which I'll so obviously be backtracking to later when I find the 'key' object for each locking mechanism. Metroidvania, it's like you never went away!

I'm hoping the game doesn't devolve into a shoot-'em-in-the-face-fest once I've picked up a weapon, 'cos I'm enjoying it so far. Some may think that an hour or so before you actually start having enemies is too long, but I quite liked it: I always think these games spend too little time before-the-fall, and as a result fail to build up tension.

Oh, and it'd be nice if I could actually search for objects in more than a couple of containers. I was especially eager to see what was in the 'Seized by Customs' boxes at the spaceport. You're seriously telling me that something seized by Customs might not be useful to me in a survival situation? It could have been a weapon! But no, they're all just window-dressing. Apart from *some* containers, that you *can* search, and which are - in my opinion - inadequately differentiated from the non-searchable containers unless you actually poke your face at each one to see which triggers an action notification.

19. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I've played the first 3 or so hours and it just oozes atmosphere; the attention to detail and sound affects are just incredible.

20. demastes

demastes New Member

well i bought the game on the back of this review and i have yet to be disappointed. what an amazing game. i dont even have a modern rig yet it runs very well and looks amazing. im also pooping my pants over every little noise... not as scary as amnesia:the dark descent though, thank god! i may actually be able to finish this one!

Tags: Add Tags