1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Aliens: Colonial Marines review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 12 Feb 2013.

1. loftie

loftie Multimodder

For those who bought it, since BTs review was done on the PS3, this is from IGN

"Lastly, the PC version doesn’t suffer from the same shoddy texture work and screen tearing as its console counterparts. However, this isn’t exactly cutting edge either in terms of being a 2013 release. It’s a game designed for DirectX 9 and doesn’t really feature any cutting edge visual flourishes - in fact the video settings menu is effectively limited to a few detail sliders and an FXAA toggle. This is certainly not a game for graphics setting tweakers."

2. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

There are areas on the PC version where the designers haven't been bothered to texture anything.. Hadley's Hope for example. It's like 3dfx all over again.

3. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

I just had a few rounds on Team Death Match and found playing as a Xeno loads of fun! You just gotta be sneaky.

4. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

I gotta say, I see nothing wrong with this game, it is atmospheric, the graphics are absolutely fine on the pc , the music is intense, playing on ultimate badass without a HUD makes it even more challenging and you constantly feel like there is something breathing down your neck.

I am not really sure what else was to be expected, it feels and looks like aliens to me

I think review sites have been incredibly unfair on this game, it seems like you've all just spam copy and pasted each others review and no one has actually really played it.

Why are we getting PS3 reviews anyways, surely a PC review would be more apt for this site.

5. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I'm playing through the single player campaign at the moment and I'll be giving the co-op campaign mode a go on Sunday. It's no AvP/2 and the graphics are more than a little dated by current standards. I haven't noticed the poor animation on the aliens yet as I've been too busy shooting them as fast as I see them and watching the gibbage. They do a wierd freeze once they've clobbered you up close though -one hit out of nowhere then they stand and look at you. It's almost as if they want to be walloped with the gun and then take a shotgun blast to the face, go figure!

It's worth about £10, £15 at most (certainly not £40) but it's not as dire as I expected from the review. I'm probably a touch biased as I'm a die hard fan of the films (except this mythical beast known as "Alien 3" - no such creature, it simply doesn't exist) but I've played a lot worse and paid more for them (a pre order dating back to 2008 has some benefits).

One thing I do agree 100% with the review - get rid of the [insert preferred expletive here] motion tracker icon and audible warning :miffed: It completely ruins any suspense there might have otherwise been. The marine campaign on AvP (1999) was brown trousers time, this is more like "Oh look, something's going to attack soon. I suppose I ought to check where it is".

Some of the challenges are a bit odd too - melee kill 5 aliens in a mission? Really? Have you even seen the films Mr Game Designer? I guess that'll be a "No" then - fleshy meatbag with gun vs perfect close combat killing machine in hand to hand = "You've got red on you" - and it's your own. Not "Go me! I just killed an alien by prodding it with the shooty bit of my gun!"

TL, DR: It's almost like a game version of a B movie Aliens only it isn't quite crap enough. "meh" is about the nicest comment I can make. I'll probably give the multiplayer a go for the hell of it.

6. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

never been soooo disappointed in a longgggg time :'(

7. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Definitely a bargin bin aquisition.

PC Gamer had the best desciption I've seen so far, "a swing and a miss", I figure this will drop in price just like MoH warfighter did which I got for £12 from my local games shop.

8. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Could have been great...disappointing.

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Is it out on WiiU yet? Apparently, the motion tracker stays on your controller and freaks you out as you keep having to look down at it and then back up to the screen. I like the sound of that and could be the real reason for this release if it works.

As for the "Alien3" comment, watch them all together now including the intended David Fincher version and the stinker in the pile is unbelievably "Aliens" and Cameron's shoddy work.

10. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

You can turn off the on sceen hint and audible warning to use the motion tracker.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

12. x5pilot

x5pilot Fragile explosion

One thing I learned over several years is game reviews are the opinion of individuals.
    Having seen all sorts of reviews earn both questionably high and low ratings on various sites, I still intend to buy the game and form my own opinion - I've been looking forward to this game for a while, its not like I'm now going to ignore just because of this review.

13. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Erm, its not just this review, it appears to just about all of them that say its a missed opportunity. However I will still buy it but not until the price drops by quite a bit.

14. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Alien 3 is a brilliant film, you just have to get past the fact that it is a lot different from Aliens.

15. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

No where near as bad as the reviews make out, so many good reference to the old movie and online as aliens is so fun.

16. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

MP is decent tbh but SP is pretty laughable. Even co-op doesn't make it much fun. I'd say a missing opportunity but not as awful as some are making out

17. leslie

leslie Just me!

I love the series, and liked Borderlands 2, so this was really hard not to pre-purchase, but I didn't want another Homefront situation, now, I'm glad I waited. Sounds like they are going to have some really angry customers.

18. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Just FYI, "Scalectrix" should be Scalextric http://www.scalextric.com/ and "slither" should be "sliver".

Agree with the above re PC-orientated site with a review of the PS3 version.

19. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

and "license" should be "licence". :)

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Should?

Tags: Add Tags