1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alienware Aurora 7500 with FX-60

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 11 Jan 2006.

1. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

I'll take 2.

2. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

That much money, and they are still using a cheiftech chassis thats pushing 5 years old.
    Why no alu case, specially considering the weight ?

3. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Why two. There is no point in two. Wait unless you building two systems.

4. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

I thought the same, they're insane.

Alienware seem to wow with every incarnation of their flagship rig.

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

wow.. seriously impresive performance

but not targeted at the bittech crowd rearly more rich people who don't know too much about pcs but want the best of everything.

The case is fugly aswell, plastic on a pc costing £4500 :|

Also there competitor voodoopc watercools at this price level :p

6. hitman012

hitman012 Active Member

Indeed, for that price it was disappointing not to see a high-end watercooling system in place for silence + performance tbh.

7. LockmanX

LockmanX New Member

It's coming.

8. frodo

frodo New Member

impressive, but:

1) 2t = gay
    2) not enough storage - i must be like uber hardcore cause i know i'd fill 1tb damn quick!
    3) FUGLY case - they used to be real deep and shiny - but now they all look mank and pre-fab
    4) 2t (slower)

ok, its impressive that theyve managed to do it so damn quickly!

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 New Member

nice hardware, but i really dont like those alienware cases. they look like plastic, its terrible. if they were more metallic looking and less alien looking too id like them. wouldnt buy it though, even if i had the money.

10. BlitzenWagon

BlitzenWagon New Member

wow that ram is slloowwww.... i have no experience with 2gb of ram but my sandra bench is almost double that with my 2x512s.

11. DLoney

DLoney New Member

Really?
    What are the speeds for your ram?
    :confused:

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Turn off buffering and you'll get the scores the way Bit-Tech does, which shows REAL memory bandwidth.

13. BlitzenWagon

BlitzenWagon New Member

gotcha... i have OZC pc4000 gold vx.... now im gettings 4284 average of both.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2006
  14. Muunsyr

Muunsyr New Member

Can't say that I'm a huge fan of Alienware, but they DO do a very neet cabling arangement - I'll have to get my cables up to scratch :)

15. bloodcar

bloodcar Active Member

God, it seems the trolls come about every time there's an Alienware review about. It's really getting quite old. This just happens to be a sample that Alienware has sent bit-tech. There are different/more options for each particular line of systems that they offer. You can get that system with 4GB of system ram and 2x1GB sticks as well. They have a plethora of options available allowing you to pick from some of the best hardware on the market. The build quality is well above par as well with cable management being better then what most people ever do in their personal rigs (my own included for the time being.) Alienware hasn't built their name because they sell **** products, afterall.

In complete and all honesty, if I could afford one of their high end systems, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Their build quality (yes, I mentioned it before) and technical support are excellent. Quite frankly, I love building my own computers but nowadays, it just seems to be more and more of a headache considering you need to pick out the appropriate motherboard/cpu/memory combo plus graphics, power supply, case, storage device, and so on and so on. It becomes quite a pain in the ass to try and decide what componets you want to buy and Alienware makes it very simple for you.

Some of you are bitching saying "Why would you pay that much money for that system when it's going to be outdated in a couple of months?" But you feel to realize that being on the bleeding edge of technology will cost you a premium whether it's coming from an OEM or you're building it yourself. Sure you might save a little bit of money by building it yourself, but like bigz said, are you going to have the ease and convience of being able to call one phone number and getting all of your problems sorted? I think not. You pay that premium for a reason... they do have employees to pay and investers they need to keep happy by making a profit. When you build a computer for someone, do you charge them just the price of components or do you charge extra? Do you offer 1-4 years of warrenty service and will replace any parts that go out even if the manufacturer's warrenty has expired? I don't think you do. Also, Alienware do offer liquid cooling in their ALX line of computers (also just noticed that it's an option in their Aurora line as well) for those of you that don't know. And besides, what other tower desktop can you walk into a room and instantly know who made it without seeing a brand written across the front?

On to the review itself now... that is simply an awesome rig and I would love to have it sitting under my desk. I do question their choice of ram to send you guys but that's something that's left to their PR guys. If you still have the case, is there anyway you could get a dB reading of the total noise of the computer under full load and idle? That's something that I'd love to see. Also, upon publishing of the article, you can configure the computer at Alienware's website. http://www.alienware.com/intro_pages/fx-60.aspx?source=2598 I received a link (albeit slightly different due to some nice discounts) in my e-mail very early this morning. Good review albeit the reviews seem to get shorter and shorter with each passing. What's the total system boot time with this sucker? What about the bit-tech rig? How about some reboot times as well? Something that would be nice to see in OEM reviews would be the boot times such and those and possible loading times such as the level loading time in Half-Life 2 (it's absoluetly atrocious on my machine at the times being).

Last edited: 12 Jan 2006
  16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Why is it that unless you have something positive to say, you're a troll? I just happen to think that pretty much most people on here could, given the money, build a system that would comnfortably outperform that, for less money.

How so? Like you said, they have a plethora of options, so you still haev to choose!! FOr instance, I don't see why I should pay all that money for a rig that has 4 sticks of average RAM running in 2T, no matter how fast it is... cos it would only be faster still if they thought about it more.

Never been something I worry about to be honest, but it's just a rip off IMO. Is paying about 1000 more than you need to worth the tech support? If we bought any other product, and then had to pay 1000 to get some after sales service we'd be calling Watchdog, or some other consumer rights show to complain.

Damned expensive support if you ask me.

The rig will be obsolete by then, who cares? Let's be honest again... how many people on here still use (as their main rig) the same machine they had 4 years ago? Three? I bet a large chunk of people reading this haven't got a rig that's 2 years old, so what is the big deal about a 4 year warranty on a complete system? When Dixons or Comet try to sell you these "Extended warranties", we all complain and expound about them being a rip off, yet when alianware do it, it's suddenly a fantastic idea that's worth paying a grand premium for.

Depends if you think buying a brand is a good idea or not doesn't it? Also... it depends if you think it's the ugliest thing you've ever seen in your life or not, doesn't it?

I'm sorry.. I just don't get it. Great review and all... yes, it's a fast rig... but does no one else think that case looks really, realy cheap and nasty? Does no one else think that drooling over those CS:S results is pointless when any one of us in here, given the budget, could build a rig that would hand it it's own ass for less money?

I'm sorry if you consider saying anything other than what a great rig it as trolling, but I think it's a rip-off, and considering the cost, not that fantastic either.

Just seems expensive for what amounts to no more than an extended warranty and some marginally neater cables, and then to add insult, stick it in a old chassis and dress it up in a cheap plastic fascade that would be, quite frankly, an embarrassment for anyone other than a 14 year old to have on show.

I guess I'm not part of Alienware's target demographic is all. Like I said, great work in getting a FX60 in a OEM rig so soon... yes, it's fast, and yes it's a great rig... but.. no thanks.

17. Nature

Nature Member

Any plans from Alienware for a Yonah-GTX go notebook? That'll be what I'm buyin'

18. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules New Member

I built a comporable system on Newegg for $5138.51. Of course, you don't get the support and warrantys that Alienware offers. I'd love to have that system.....ooohhhh *drool*

I factored in $250 for the case figuring that, plus some of the extra widgets and accesories would be about $250 or maybe even less.

If you have the money to spend almost 5200 dollars on a self-built comp, there's no reason to spend some more and go for Alienwares with warrantys.

19. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Catch 22, if they were less alien looking, then they wouldn't be alienware.

I actually like their style of cases...
    as mentioned before, they're unique - instantly recognisable, and original. Whereas most other manufacturers just use a standard case from Silverstone and the likes.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

No, I think you have missed the point. If you were to go to another system builder and find something with a similar specification for less money, that's a fair comparison. Comparing a DIY computer to a pre-built and saying "I could build that for less myself" is what I'd consider trolling.

I'm being hypothetical here but if you can build that for less, great. If you can build that for less, as well as sell the system brand new for less than Alienware and provide on-site support, along with some form of telephone support (I'm not sure what Alienware's is these days, but most big system builders are 24/7/52).

If you think that you can 'build the same system for less', are you including on-site support and telephone support? That's what most people forget about pre-builds.

I could certainly put the hardware together for less, but I couldn't sell the system for less. Also, where are you planning to buy the two GTX 512's from? Nowhere stocks them.

Tags: Add Tags