1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Alienware or dell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gamergod05, 2 Jul 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gamergod05

gamergod05 What's a Dremel?

Which would be better im just price comparing now i know xps and alien mob are unlocked so i should be able to overclock but which would i get better deal.

2. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Considering Dell bought out Alienware, and they're phasing out their XPS series computers to promote the Alienware name, I would go with the Alienware... You're getting the same computer either way. ;)

3. gamergod05

Ummmmm i might go with dell it 500$ cheaper comes with gtx 285 sli 1000w psu and i7 920 only difference is alienware has better cooling but i should be able to get it to 3.6ghz on dell.

4. gamergod05

Can you add gpu's to them though to alienware and dell i want to upgrade to dx11's later on or does it avoid warenty or what?

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

build your own???

It really isn't that hard and bit-tech will help you out with parts section

6. gamergod05

Can't my parents say it best to get though company that way stuff can be fixed and replace

7. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Tell them the warranties last longer when you buy individual parts separately (3-5 years, or in some cases longer) rather than buying it premade (typically 1 year).

- Diosjenin -

8. gamergod05

Tried but i guess they want dell ill be using pc and them and there not inteo technology they don't know any thing about computer they can barley serf the web but im sure it will be fine for me i won't need huge upgrade on this dell pc i7's should be around a long time and gpu i can just upgrade.

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

i7 is being mostly phased out in September. After that it will be i5.

10. gamergod05

wow lol did you not do research i7 is going to be better i5 is for normal users and i3 is lesser i7 still most power and still on top unless amd does something

11. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

you do know that i3 is the core 2 line at the moment. i5 will be fine for most people on here (unless they are the guy or something). i only see dual i7 systems being pushed when working with 4K video from a RED

the motherboards on those rigs are some average OEM job. also does the system have to be from dell. if your parents want it purchased from a company just go to a respectable computer store in your area and get them to build you one.

12. gamergod05

None in my area that i know i live in small town no more than 1,000 people. Why what wrong with dell im not going to be heavy overclocking maybe little more but i will have no issues with psu since it 1000w and ill be able to upgrade to dx11 cards so it should be good for 3 years cpu wise only thing worry about is gpu and ddr4 should not happen soon.

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Dells are well known for their shifty quality. Not to mention those annoying proprietary parts.

I'd say build your own, you're not losing out, and you don't have to pay that ridiculous pricetag. Just tell your parents that building your own will save a lot of money.

14. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

buy from cyberpowersystems.co.uk as these are far better than dell.

just cause it says 1000W PSU does not make it good. It will most likely be a horrible OEM PSU to keep dells costs down.

Dell make overpriced PCs made by muppets who have no idea what good or great components are.

ive seen countless dells that have stupid specs. such as using 2x2GB on an i7 system.

or even listing it uses DDR2 with a i7 920.

15. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

I agree wholeheartedly with Elton and adam_bagpuss, Dell are a pain with their cheap components and proprietary parts. They're not as bad as they used to be, but you can expect that if you want to upgrade in the future, you'll need to buy everything again :D they always skimp on PSU too because they know it isn't as flashy to your average joe, and they often include rubbish HDDs because all the specs need to say are "lots and lots of space! 7200rpm SATA-II" for people to think "omg, what an amazing deal" :D

Build it yourself and you get quality parts, and the joy and skills from building it! :thumb:

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Well, the information I cited was posted on Bit's front page a while back.

All models but the 975XE and the Xeons (what they were designed for) will be EOLed in September.

BTW, FWIW, just go Phenom II and save a ton of dosh. They're still hanging with the i7 despite being MUCH cheaper.

Especially if all you do is game, you'd probably not see the difference with enough in the video cards.

i7 is nice, but it's not got that much of a consumer lifespan, nor is it very friendly to the wallet for what it gives back.

17. gamergod05

Im not from uk

18. gamergod05

I told them that but they don't know much and know if something went wrong with it it could not be fixed. But back to parts what parts are not good one i was looking at was liquid cooled and all and from vid's and pic's i have seen on youtube with people will dell xps 730's they work great and they have them overclock to 4.2ghz also gpu's in most i saw were bfg brand and that a great well know brand of gpu.

19. gamergod05

I don't think room or upgrading is issue from vids' i have seen of people with them some guy had 2 gtx 295's in side running on dell 1000w so it must be good quality.

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Multi-quote Cheesecake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.