1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor All-in-one for living room

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 13 Nov 2017.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I am looking at buying an all-in-one computer for the living room. Its main purpose would be to replace an ageing Dell laptop as a general family computer for my wife and 4 yr old daughter for browsing, homework and general computer training (maybe learning to code when she's older.

It will be in a prime position in the living room so a minimalist, sleek look is a must. Think iMac but for windows. From my perspective must haves are:

• Snappy CPU
    • OK graphics (no serious gaming but I don't want it to be sluggish on some of my daughters web based games)
    • 8gb ram
    • SSD (256gb would seem the minimum these days given the size of Win 10) or at least easily swappable
    • Windows 10
    • Take or leave touch screen but might help with getting computer skills up to scratch for the little one (she already tries to tap the laptop!)
    • SD card reader
    • HDMI in would be nice to have (to route bluray drive to rather than my projector for kids movies)
    I have been looking at the Dell inspiron all in one 5000 for less than £1000 but are there any others worth looking at? Or should I consider a different config (NUC plus screen?) in terms of value for money.

Either way I will wait till black Friday in case of discounts at the big players.

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

These things are awesome. You need to add a DDR4 SODIMM to it and a hard drive or SSD but still going to be £350 or so only. Then get a screen.

The Brix will mount on the VESA bracket on the back of the screen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MDVKZWK/

Last edited: 13 Nov 2017
  3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I had seen these but not realised that they can mount to a VESA fixing. I guess if you paired it with a short dp cable and wireless inputs it would work. No sd reader but options to add something.

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Get a screen with a USB hub built in to add a few extra ports and some double sided sellotape and a cheap SD card reader and you’re sorted.

Double check that exact BRIX but I had an older bxbt-2807 which had a vesa bracket.

5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Tempted but still would prefer an all together solution that loads of bolt ons (webcam, sd reader, no HDMI input etc.)

The sweetspot looks to be this from Dell for power to price:

http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/desk...ron-dt-7775/spd/inspiron-27-7775-aio/cd777501

Though they do do cheaper 24" with AMD A12 APUs but haven't a clue on relative performance of these APUs.

Considering that AMDs new APUs are coming is it worth holding off?

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The version with an A12 APU that has an SSD is £949, so "only" a £150 saving.

That £150 saving is not worth the absolutely massive performance deficit of the APU (which is an almost decade old CPU design).
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1486-amd-a12-9800/

7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

That's what I figured. Would be interesting to see what price they push with the new Ryzen APUs. HP have released a laptop (X360) with one in so presumably others aren't far behind (though I suspect all-in-ones are low priority for most manufacturers).

I feel like I should really build my own but the idea of having only a single power cable is appealing to my control freak side!

8. monkeylove

monkeylove What's a Dremel?

I found the NUC with screen practical because I could replace the monitor, add or replace RAM, etc., easily compared to an all-in-one.