1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News All Of MP3 could be dead before the month is out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 6 Oct 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

The 'over in the forums' link is broke.

-- Fixing, thanks! - Da Dego

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Oct 2006
  3. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

Do you think the site will disappear before October is done? Or does Russia have little chance of joining the WTO with or without the interference? Let us know what you think over in the forums.

meh...

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

What does it say about the state of international relations when one rather unimportant website can hang up somthing like Russia's WTO bid? Allofmp3.com has proven that the model can work and be profitable, so there is little doubt in my mind that it or somthing very much like it will be around for a long time.

5. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

Yes but on that note the original napster (illegal one) was profitable, and got closed down, along with most of the decent pier to pier networks (As far as I am aware)

Remember that less and less countries want these sites hosted in there own borders, take Sweden and the pirate bay for example..

I'm not sure all of mp3 will last, I think eventually they will disappear, as yes they are profitable, but I'm 99% sure the original artist makes nothing from a 12p song sale. hence the only reason they are profitable is because they are not paying royalties, make them start, and the price goes up, if they refuse, they will be taken off line.

just my 2pence...

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

what happened to that legal add-supported free MP3 download site that was mentioned in the bit-tech new some month ago?

7. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Does that mean it's time to "get it before it's gone"?

Cue the madrush to an allofmp3 downloading orgy!

Aggies

8. Vigfus

Vigfus Born to be...

Still is. :p

Sweden doesn't want TPB? Just you wait until the case is settled. Piracy will prevail!

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is very bad for democracy and the liberty of everyone that wants to listen to some music.

and this is all because of a democracy and liberty loving country.

10. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

How does that make sense?

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Russia isn't the fairest of places so I'm inclined to agree with Wil that if Russia want into the WTO(which they do) allofmp3 will just stop existing.

Next stop, China!

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I can just see them tunning under/through/over the great firewall of China

13. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

let me help:

in teory you are free to buy music and use it as you wish, this is a liberty, you are also able to vote with your wallet when you buy or dont buy an album so there you have the democracy part.

today you cant do what you wish with the music you buy because of the excessive DRM, and even if you dont buy the album (a vote for the box "change your ways, something is very wrong") they dont do anything and/or make everything worse, and blame piracy and go off pulling strings in the government making big countries (USA) bully other smaller countries (Russia).

me, you and everyone.

edit:
    good luck

14. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

They moan at us for downloading "free music" so we go over to the paysites.

BAM

We're wrong again.

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I don't know why Russia wants into the WTO so badly - Even with international agreements nations bend the rules anyway: Every time international courts have ruled against the USA on softwood lumber trade with Canada some USA senator tries another tactic - which is almost always - eventually - ruled as illegal. I'm not trying to attack the USA - it's just the first example that comes to mind. The second example is the eastern oil cartels: in most western nations their tactics would be rule as illegal market manipulation (as would much of what De-Beers has done in the diamond trade). Though I suppose getting into the rule making body not only helps Russia to influence some rules but also gives them a little more prestige.

Once Russia (or any nation) gets in can they be kicked out?

16. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

DXR, Russia is not a smaller country. As far as I can see, it's about money and not bullying.

Is this all about this one single website in particular, or similar sites as well? B/c it does seem awfully petty to stop everything on account of one single website.

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

when i say smaller i mean in terms of money and power...... sorry if i was not specific.

edit: and i hope they change your name to what you want.

18. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:worried:

Last edited: 10 Oct 2006
  19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Russia aren't as small in money or power as many people seem to think. The USSR may have broken up, but the ruskies have retained a good chunk of the power they had back then. They're oil and gun rich, with decent positioning in the UN and plenty of support from local countries and china.

Of course if the US say they don't get into the WTO without shutting down allofmp3 I don't see russia caring. Allofmp3 won't be anything important to the russian govt. I don't imagine, and shutting it down wouldn't be a problem legally or morally for 'em either. The only reason I can see they'd object would be if they saw it as an attack on their right to do what they want within their borders, but I doubt they'd be that stupid.

20. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

I love forums threads like this, coz you can tell the people that are gunna suffer the most if AOMP3 dies, coz your all trying to say its wrong to take it down.

Its fairly obvious, your paying £0.80-1.50 an album, once you take a)the webservers rental, b) the bandwidth bills, c) the "staffs" time to rip all the albums and maintain the site.

You think the artist is seeing a single penny of that ?

Tags: Add Tags