1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All TechTV Employees Fired

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Astrum, 7 May 2004.

1. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I've just learned that G4 has fired the entire staff of TechTV.

Per the WARN Act (governing plant closings) all the employees of TechTV have been given 60 days notice. The San Francisco operation will be shuttered by July. 100 of the existing jobs will be posted for those willing to relocate to LA.

Outgoing COO, Joe Gillespie will say good-bye to the troops tomorrow. Incoming CEO Charles Hirschorn will say hello (and good-bye) on Monday.

That all of it, I got it from The Laporte Report.

2. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

poopie

to add meat to the post: What will i watch now?

/me hopes for june and new SG1 episodes soon..

Last edited: 7 May 2004
  3. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

I used to watch tech tv sometimes. How lame they fired everyone. Comcast needs to be fired.

-die-

4. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

ha ha ha
    Astrum really should have copyrighted that.

5. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

I did, you owe me $1,000,000. Stay on topic.

Another (more comprehensive) story about this on c|net.

6. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

7. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

Is the firing just the biz side or is it the cast like on the screen savers etc? I hav a feeling a virus will be released targeting techtv for this stunt...

8. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Man, this totally sucks, and I think G4 will see a backlash due to it.

I've been watching it since it was ZDTV, and was on the Screen Savers show last year.

9. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Same here (except for the part of being on the show) - I hope they realize what a huge backlash they're going to get for that.

10. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

How many people here watch G4?
    (Some of the TechTV shows are supposed to be merged into G4)

Personaly everytime I ever turn on G4, all I see is console stuff.
    TechTV was about PC's, Gadgets, and Science

11. ArmyAnt

ArmyAnt What's a Dremel?

G4 Sucks

12. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Never seen it, and I've never heard anything good from the people who have. Sounds doomed to me.

13. apoogod

apoogod trix arent just for kids

damn just when the girls were getting cute to

14. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

TechTV sucks these days anyway. If you want a real show watch The Broken (www.thebroken.com). G4 should make that one of their shows.
    Shows like The Screensavers are for pansies these days... I wonder if a 2600-type show could happen? :naughty:
    Granted not on TechTV... but think it would be possible??

15. X-Treme

X-Treme What's a Dremel?

It really pisses me off. I love TechTv and have watched it for a while now. I have DirecTv and 900 channels so..... Anyway I really like The Screensavers, Call For Help, Tech Live, and my favorite is XPlay. I've become attached to that show. I've seen some of the G4 shows now that they are previewing some of them on TechTv, and they aren't THAT bad, but they aren't great either. The music to some of the shows sucks, but thats just a tiny little nitpick. Anyways, the hosts are pretty scripted and you can kinda tell. XPlay is great because the hosts Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb are much more casual and add in ad-libs here and there, and are just fun to watch and they give straight foward good gaming reviews while adding in lots of humor and stuff. XPlay is great. G4 should be XPlay. Also the merger is happening on May 28th, 2004. The new show is being called G4techtv and IMO the worst name for a channel ever. The site is G4techtv . I hate comcast, they are power hungry *******s who couldn't steal disney so they had to take TTV and add more viewers while in essance killed off all the hard working, dedicated, and loved hosts and staff that had worked so hard to make TTV what a great channel it is today and to have 40+ million viewers, while G4 the 24/7 all gaming network has like 14+ million viewers, and comcrap figures they are going to make more money and get more viewers by raping TTV when really they are just putting G4 in TVV, destroying the orginal TTV, putting bad G4 in killed TTV, and killing like I said before all the great people that made the dead TTV a great channel to watch that helped many, many people in their lives for many technology related questions and problems. I am sickened by this pointless merger, and hope comcrap goes down in hell, and I know that nothing good will come once the channel airs May 28th, 2004. Oh and just to remind you, they fired like EVERYBODY who worked for TTV and there will only be 80 spots open for G4techtv. Goodbye TTV, you'll never be forgotten, never. RIP. RIP...

Ben

16. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Ramzi rules

17. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Jeez, what do you want 900 channels for? We have 40 channels on the cable anf I don't watch 30 of them. OK they are foreign and I dont understand french, spanisch, chinese, arabic, turkish and I don't like CNN. But 900? You need 15 minutes to zap through all of them. Are they any good?

18. X-Treme

X-Treme What's a Dremel?

Hell yeah they good. :)

19. jodathmorr

jodathmorr What's a Dremel?

I've been a TechTV fan since the beginning (when they still ran shows like Internet Tonight) and I was really upset to hear this. I dunno which shows they will continue, and they've been playing some G4 programming now. Some of it is alright (Icons is a pretty good show), but the majority is hosted by tech fashion models (I think its called Filter, hosted by some hawt asian chick, but she dosn't seem like she knows jack about computers) and they seem like the same old thing. Its also ashame that all those good people will be out of a job and forced to move 3 hours away if they want to keep their jobs. I can only hope that things will turn out for the better.

20. savethegaywhales

savethegaywhales What's a Dremel?

:waah:
    I never heard of G4 before the merger, don't want to see all the techTV people leave.