1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AllofMP3 owner to be locked up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 27 Jul 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Mmm...big US business organisations overriding national Russian law. Perhaps we need to draft them in to get Lugovei extradited, since clearly the law is no obstacle to the MPAA/RIAA?

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

ROFLLLLLLLLLL :lol::lol:
    So true!!!
    :D

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Ouch. It's a load of nonsense as far as I'm concerned, but it still sucks to be that guy.

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is kind of scaring me....... the US are way out of their jurisdiction.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

So they bought some judges in Russia? Nothing new about that.
    And they put their law above the other country's law? Nothing new about that too.
    But it still makes me shiver.

7. phonon45

phonon45 What's a Dremel?

While I understand your sentiment, please do not confuse the US (i.e. its population) with multinational corporations. I think that you will find that most of the US population would agree with you on this issue if given enough of the facts. (I am not sure that I have all of the facts in this particular case. What little I know about this comes from Bit-Tech) I will admit that there is a problem in this country with corporate lawlessness. (Well that is not entirely true since they influence how laws are passed here so it is probably legal.)

And just for the record, Universal Music's headquarters are in the US but the company is owned by Vivendi which is a French company, EMI is a British company, and Warner Music is a US company.

I guess my point is that we should be working together to stop major corporations from abusing the legislature and judiciary in every country and not blaming each other. Our interests and goals really are the same.

:dremel:

Last edited: 27 Jul 2007
  8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

/\ great post phonon45 :thumb:

I too think the world has to figure out a better way to deal with these huge multinational corporations and not let them try to write laws for us. Sadly I think some of them have more money than some of the governments they are coercing.

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Wasn't there a point in one of the previous articles about AllofMP3 willing to working within Russian law regarding royalties (and no one has put up their hands yet)? If this is true then surely jail time is a bit extreme.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Constructacon; AoMP3 worked perfectly legally under russian law. They paid their fees to ROMS, the russian record association. They did nothing illegal. Legality wasn't the issue here though, what the RIAA wanted was the issue. Clearly the national laws that have been chosen by, and bind 145,000,000 people aren't worth respecting if you don't like them.

11. mardukph

mardukph What's a Dremel?

Agree... /shiver:worried:

Phonon and spec are right, It's not about AoMP3 being illegal, in Russia at least.
    To put it in a simplistic view: "We are a megacorporation, we control your country's laws."

Last edited: 30 Jul 2007
  12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The RIAA/MPAA are practising uncompetitive business. They should be sued. :)

13. RobR

RobR What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't be surprised if nothing comes of this in the end - at all. There will always be alternatives, even if AllTunes closes down too: there is a huge list of sites similar to AllOfMP3 at <a href="http://www.songboom.com">songboom.com</a>. Although it was sad to see AllOfMP3 go, it's certainly not the end of cheap music!

14. velichk

velichk What's a Dremel?

mp3sparks is analog of allofmp3, it has the same owner.
    if for you allofmp3 is great than you can use it! But i know more russian mp3 stores than cheaper allofmp3 - check my hub http://hubpages.com/hub/russianmp3site...

Tags: Add Tags