1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex HF metall reservoir

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by rolldog, 29 Oct 2017.

1. rolldog

rolldog What's a Dremel?

I just bought one of these new reservoirs to use in a new build, and I love the solid nickel plated brass top and bottom but it comes with cheap black plastic mounting clips to mount it. Anyone know of any other manufacturer who might make mounting brackets to fit a 50mm diameter reservoir either in a similar nickel plating or in a clear plastic? These mounting brackets ruin the look of the reservoir, and I can't find any other brackets that might work or think of a completely different mounting option.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Alphacool make these clear ones. EK used to have similar but better quality black nylon ones in 50mm size but their clear plexi ones used to snap in two immediately on use because EK reckoned we were using them wrong i.e. installing them.

3. rolldog

rolldog What's a Dremel?

Great, thanks! I was hoping to find some made with any sort of metal, but I think clear is better than these black ones. I want the top and bottom of the reservoir to at least be visible. I thought about using some kind of Chrome colored paint, but I don't want paint to start chipping off. Besides, having chrome painted plastic reservoir mounts right next to the nickel plated brass on the reservoir might not look so good. I didn't realize trying to keep everything in my build metal wood be so difficult. I'm still trying to figure out how I can possibly mount my GPU vertically, but everything is more difficult when every side of the case is mirrored tempered glass. I hope I finish this build before all my hardware is only worth $1USD

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

What case are you using? Does it not have a vertical gpu slot? Or are you worried about supporting it properly?

5. rolldog

rolldog What's a Dremel?

It's an In Win Tou 2.0.

6. The_Crapman

Have a look at this thread where someone with an inwin case made a vertical mount to fit where the usual pci brackets go.

7. rolldog

rolldog What's a Dremel?

I didn't even think about using the existing PCIe slots. Being that my GPU is the only card I'm using, that's a great idea! Thanks for the link! It's kinda funny too that Bill Owen started that thread since that's who I bought my vertical GPU mount and PCIe extender from.

8. rolldog

rolldog What's a Dremel?

This is the case I'm working with, which is a little bit different than the other one. Before I mod the PCIe slots, I'm going to try finding another way to mount the GPU. I'd hate to mod this expensive case mostly because it'll kill the resale value. Hopefully the PCIe slots are all on one bracket, which can be taken apart with a couple of screws, then I could easily change it back if I ever decided to sell it. I'll have to take another look at the case when I get home, but the majority of cases I've worked with all had PCIe slots on one bracket, which could be removed from the MB tray by removing a few screws. Hopefully this is the case (no pun intended). In the other picture I've attached, you can see the open space above the MB IO shield. I thought about mounting the GPU there, but the GPU would completely cover the Monoblock that came with the Asus Maximus IX Extreme. So far, the only modding I've done to this case is raising the top approx 25mm making room for my Aquacomputer rads, and I've cut a piece of mirror to section off the bottom part of the case, but both of these can be easily removed. 20170315012018_24833.jpg 20170315013701_34071.jpg

9. The_Crapman

In my experience they're usually riveted on, but I'm dealing with much, MUCH cheaper cases. ha ha

There looks like there's plenty of room in front of it, so you could fashion a support that hangs off it/attaches to it so the gpu sits in front

10. rolldog

rolldog What's a Dremel?

Actually, this case has screws, so it was very easy to remove.

There's one more thing I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with. I'm installing an Asus Maximus IX Extreme MB into this In Win Tou 2.0, and the front panel, which is down at the bottom of the front of the case, has 3 x USB 3.0 Type A ports and 1 USB 3.1 Type C port. The internal cables leading to both the 3 x USB 3.0 ports and the USB 3.1 Type C port are both female 20 pin USB connectors. The MB has one USB 3.0 header where I can plug in the 3 x USB 3.0 ports, and this MB has a USB 3.1 header that looks like this picture. (Pic 1)

Since the cable running to the USB 3.1 type C port on the front of the case has the same 20 pin connector as the USB 3.0 connectors, it use it I'll need a cable with one of these on each end. (Pic 2 & 3). Does anyone have any idea where I can find a cable like this? I've found cables with the USB 3.1 header on on it, but the other end is a USB 3.1 Type C connector, which I don't need since one is already on the front panel of the case. Anyone have any ideas? I'm in the US, and I've already had to ship my 24 pin ATX cable to someone in Australia so they could make a new sleeved cable for me. In Win spliced a proprietary 5 pin cable into the 24 pin ATX cable, which connects to the front panel and controls the LEDs. He had to remove the connector from the original cable and put it on the new sleeved cable. Now I'm trying to find another cable, which I don't think exists. I've had modDIY make some cables for me once before, but I had to supply the pinout. In Win wouldn't give me the pinout of this 5 pin cable, but since both of these connectors that I need on this cable are standard (just not together on the same cable) I wonder if one needs to be made?

Attached Files:

11. The_Crapman

Could use one of these for gpu mounting

12. rolldog

rolldog What's a Dremel?

I'm making something similar, except the bottom will cover the lower part of my case to hide all the wiring, and I'm making the bottom part a mirror.

13. BU5H W00K1E

BU5H W00K1E Minimodder

U could always make some copper brackets and nickle plate them yourself. It's not to hard to do just might be a little costly, or u can use any metal and nickle plate it the kit is around 50-100 USD and assuming u can have it shipped where u live.