1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Alternatives To Shower Hose

Discussion in 'Modding' started by AkujinNoNinjin, 18 Jan 2004.

1. AkujinNoNinjin

AkujinNoNinjin What's a Dremel?

After seeing (and drooling over) Orac, I've decided its about time I do something to my sunbeam clear case - I really liked G-Gnome's idea to cover up the mess that is the cables using shower hose; however I would prefer not to make my mod a copy of the Orac mod - can anyone think of any alternatives to shower hose that I could use? Plain cable braid just looks kinda naff imo, and I can't think of anything else really ...

Cheers in advance

2. Blood

Blood What's a Dremel?

What I have used quite alot of is , black piping which is for pond pumps , it comes in sizes from around 12 mil , all the up to an inch an sumfin ,
    its black and very thick rubber , it is REALLY good , looks good also .. i prefer to cut it tho so its like a spiral , so i can just wrap it around , gives it more flex :)

it is available from your local garden centre :)
    I just happen to work in one so i get my hose uber cheap or free :p
    hehe

happy modding :) hope tha helps !

3. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

pneumatic and hydrolic piping looks a beast

4. disco volante

disco volante What's a Dremel?

Maybe braided stainless steel? Your local hardware store should sell lengths of it in their plumbing section. It's normally used for toilet or faucet supply tubes, so it has chrome fittings on each end. It's fairly narrow though, it probably wouldn't take more than 4 16 AWG wires.

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Try car heater hose, the stuff used to connect the radiator to the engine or whatnot.

Your local car store should have it pretty reasonably priced. It comes in tons of sizes (from <0.25" to like 3") and is very flexible. It's black but can be vinyl dyed.

Other than that, metal braid might work, it's like the expandable sleeving except metal.

6. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Careful with this though, because you have to make sure that it doesnt touch any of the PCBs (MoBo, Vid Card, ETC) or else they may short...and I dont think that you would be to happy.

7. scrumble

scrumble What's a Dremel?

Thinking on similar lines, how about flexible copper pipe? Basically its just thin copper pipe thats concertina'd .

Plumbers turn their noses up at it, but it would polish up real nice :)

8. AkujinNoNinjin

Wow - lots of feedback, thx a lot

I'm probably gonna avoid plastic hoses, just for aesthetics; though if I can't find anything suitable they might work after a good vinyl dying ...

I like the sounds of the plumbing supplies though - both the copper and the braided steel ... especially the latter because it has the fittings ... but copper would look the biz polished ... hmmmm decisions decisions... :lol:

Will go down to Homebase or whatever tommorow ... then Halfords (Hardware and Auto store respectively for those across the pond) ... I'll have a looksee at all of these and take my pick ... I'll get back to you with the choices...heh

... then I'll have to start the project log for all this :rolleyes:

Thanks a mill

9. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

PVC PIPE so it has no flex whatsoever. the wiring goes on a set path through the case and then in spots it has a small hole where the wires come out and there is a molex conector. so the wire is fixed in place but then molex ends still move so you can un/plug things

10. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Copper would be too stiff IMHO. It's fun when things look nice and shiney, but not at the cost of being incrediably inconvient to add or remove hardware.

Modder 1(this could be you): "Hey, check out meh SEXAH copper tubing that I put wires in.
    Modder 2: "W00T! Thats some bling bling dude!"
    Modder 1: "Ah crap, my hard drive died"
    Modder 2: "Are you going to replace it"
    Modder 1: "Nah, can't, the copper is very inflexible and I can't move it enough to get the drive out"
    Modder 2: "Time for a new computer d00d"

probably be a good idea to put a layer of clear vinyl tube over whatever metal casing you use, keep it form shorting out and make it very glossy.

11. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

LMAO! dat puters da bling bling home dog! w00t! :blush:

Just go to Home Depot and look around, should get some ideas.

12. scrumble

Normal copper pipe would be.But the stuff I'm on about is actually designed to be flexible. Admitedly its not intended to be pushed around as much as shower hose, but it should flexible enough for the inside of a PC.

I've been asking around at work and no seems to know where the stuff came from. :(

13. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I'm referirng to the partially bendable stuff. It would be excellent for long wiring runs that don't get moves (i.e. running thick cables to a junction box) but not as good for stuff like molexs. However if you left an inch or so of flexible wire after the copper it would be pretty cool... or as an even better idea, you run the copper to the side of the drive cage then ahve a 2" plug to go form the copper to the drive.

*Runs off to Home Depot for flexible copper pipe.

14. scrumble

Now I think about it I'm sure I've seen brass shower hose's somewhere, so I wouldn't be suprised if there's copper ones as well

15. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

They probably wouldnt make copper shower hoses, because they would get all nasty like older pennies....and people dont like that in their showers!

16. Redimp

Redimp What's a Dremel?

We sell flexible copper pipe at work (I work in a car parts shop) it's for car brake pipes, trouble is the common size is 3/16ths id(4mm), i'll see what the largest size is tommorrow.

17. AkujinNoNinjin

Haven't had a chance to go out chopping yet - but in school today I did find a small bit of that copper pipe (all they have though and they don't know where they found it :grr: ) ... and it was surprisingly flexible for a chunk of copper pipe ...

Could always go really ghetto and use toilet roll tubes :lol:

Cheers

18. Bloodsmoke

Bloodsmoke What's a Dremel?

The flexible copper stuff is real nice, its normally used for oil heaters to get oil out of one tank into your heater or into another tank. It comes in sizes up to 2 inch. Its very flexible(1/8 to 1) anyway. My friend made a water cooled mod and used that for his tubing he can still pull his GFX card out and everything polished up it looks very cool! :naughty:

19. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

long springs

20. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

what if you heat shrinked the wires and used plastic spiral binding from notebooks? it's fairly flexible stuff and could probably be painted chrome. if you look around, you can probably find some copper finish paint, too. even if it didn't look too great, you could most likely polish it up a bit.