1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Alternatives to the Philips BDM4065UC...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Multiplectic, 8 Dec 2015.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I tried to play game on 1440p on my 40" Philips and it looked good, I did it only to see how it looks, cause 980Ti is fine for 4K and I play only in 4K. Some games I played before on 27" 1440p started automatically at 1440p and I didn't even noticed it till checked the settings in menu. in-game you can see the difference obviously, but it is still playable and looks good.
    However I've read different opinions, it depends on a screen/size. Some screens are fine down-scaling like that, some not.
    With 40" you can always force it to 34" and save on gpu power, having perfect quality.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I don't have the Philips but I had to do it on a couple of games using my Acer 4k2k and 1440p looked fine. Not sure I would go down to 1080p though.

3. Multiplectic

Multiplectic His Stigness

Not much to see in photos, apart from the fact that's nice to have such -relatively- slim bezels. :D
    As far as gaming goes, it's a MVA panel, so it's not super fast, but fast enough for me. Colors are AMAZING, MVA rocks. Color uniformity is pretty much perfect.
    Black uniformity suffers when displaying a full black screen (And I mean a complete black screen) but that rarely happens, so you wouldn't notice it in a normal scenario.
    Having this much workspace is unbelievable. With the PbP setting, I can have 2 "vertical" screens of 1920x2160 each. So when I do some WFH, I can have my main PC and my work laptop side by side, completely independent, and both enjoying the equivalent of 2x23" 1080p displays.
    The feet are somewhat low... I think the monitor is sitting a bit lower that I'd like it to be. I might end up buying a stand for it.
    From the left side you can pull a 2" plastic support bar that works just right as a handy headphone support. :D

1080p looks terrible, awful. 1440p is kinda fine.
    BTW, I have a GTX690 (GTX970-ish in terms of raw power) and I can play more games in 2160p that I thought.
    Some current gen games, like pCARS, are perfectly playable @ 2160p 2xAA, pushing 50-60 fps. At ~110 PPI, honestly, I don't really need more than 2xAA or just FXAA.
    Other older games, like AC Unity, turn into a slideshow. So it's more like a hit and miss.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yes, many games do not need any form of aliasing @ 4k tbh.