1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Alu Angle vs Square Tubing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by yeknom, 27 Nov 2008.

1. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Hello,

Is there a major structural difference between the two? I would probably be riveting them together.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Yes. The angle will twist more easily than the tubing. It will also handle less weight than tubing.

If the angle is riveted together in the corners, however, it will form a large open square tube, making is pretty rigid. The alu angle is also easier to work with.

What you should use depends greatly on what you are doing, really.

3. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Just building a case. Approx 305mm*380*440

4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Square tubing will be a bit more than about twice as strong as angle of the same thickness & width, but angle is tough enough to make a case frame, and easier to work with/link together.

I'd say let the look you want and the level of pita in assembly be the deciding factors.

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I used angle for my case and I really wish I hadnt. I would say go with square tubing (or better yet, square bar).

Angle is such a pain to work with. I find square tubing much nicer and easier to build with. And it looks way better too.

6. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

We've not all got muscles like Arnie Schwarzenegger :p

Depends what material bars/angles you use as well as to how much weight it'll take and how easy it is to work with, Steel is heavier and tends to be stronger, whereas Aluminium tends to be the inverse

7. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Would steel angle work significantly better than alu angle for a frame?

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

aluminum angle is plenty strong enough and is easier to cut than steel. I think square tubing would make it easier to make the frame with.

but its up to you.

my next case will be square bar. :)

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I made plenty of things over the years out of out of angle or tubing. For a project like this my vote would be for angle.

It's easier to pop rivet angle iron, and it cuts up okay if you have the right tools (not a dremmel). Overall square tubing is about the easiest material to fabricate cut etc, however it's much trickier to pop rivet two pieces together.

In terms of strenght it shoudln't matter depending on the final weight you expect the case to be, most modern cases are built entirely out of stamped or formed sheet metal not structural members like tube or angle.

Strength wise angle iron is generally is considered stronger in most planes. it resists bending much better than same weight square tubing among other things. As an engineer at the company I work at most all stiffners and reinforcements are built out of angle, and almost nothing is built out of square tubing save for some stands and other pieces that are visible to the public.

You can't really go wrong with either, it really depends on what type of tools you have at your disposal