1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding aluminium sheet

Discussion in 'Modding' started by QuinnDexter, 5 May 2005.

1. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter What's a Dremel?

right .. ive used the search and not much luck.

whats a good place in the uk to buy some 1mm thick aluminium for making a new backplate for a cd player im converting (see my sig)

can you just walk into a shop and get a piece cut to size? or will i need to get my dremel / some other tool thats best, out for the job?

I will also need to bend the edges (top and bottom) by about 1cm and need to do it precisely without many tools. any handy tips?

to this end i am an aluminium newbie and need your help

cheers
    Q

2. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

You could find some in a do-it-yourself store, like Home Depot in the US. Before you go to buy you should decide what grade to use. There is a soft grade to make flashing for roofs. Aluminum gutters use a harder grade. There may also be sheets with different color anodization for trim.

3. QuinnDexter

hmm.. well i guess this isnt such a common answer for the uK so i'll go round a few homebase, focus DIA type places.

4. Mattt

Mattt Minimodder

5. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

You could check out local sheet metal shops in your area as they have off cuts etc' that they may let you have. I worked for a firm in Farnborough and we often had the odd guy looking for a bit of sheet and we let them have a rumage through the skips and stuff. Talk nice to them and they may cut to size. Most of my metal mods all began in the off cut bins.

If I still worked there I would get you what you wanted as you are not so far away - sorry.

6. radek

radek What's a Dremel?

I tried this simple bending method - you just wrap your piece around a metal pipe of desired diameter for rounded corners. For right angles and such just lock it in a vise. You said 1cm wide? Kinda narrow... How about a wider piece and then trimming the excess - would be easier. Anything that will give you leverage... will help. If you go with hammering - put piece of wood behind your aluminum and hammer that - this will give you clean bend and won't leave hammer marks. With thin aluminum it works like a charm but thicker pieces could start cracking. hope this helps. radek

7. QuinnDexter

cheers guys... found that homebase do different sizes of 1mm aluminium.. i used my vice.. small.. and painfull doing the 1cm bend.. unfortunately i read the idea of doing it larger after the fact.

all worked out well in the end though. :)