1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Am I the only one that does not really like mechanical keyboards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toploaded, 25 Apr 2013.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I'm currently using a flexible keyboard. It's terrible, but I'm just too lazy to switch it with a regular KB. Never knowingly tried a mechanical KB, but I'm not against the idea if I see one in my price range when I'm shopping for one. I would want to test it in the store before buying though :)

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

EDIT: Nevermind. I just checked and sure enough, the old Logitech is not a mechanical keyboard. After all these years I never really looked under the keys. I should have known better! :blush:

I do admit that every time I go to the electronics store I walk down the keyboard/mouse aisle and run my fingers all over the different keyboards. It drives my wife crazy.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Only tried 3 types of switches myself. I can tell you using different switches makes a big difference though. I prefer the browns to the blues, but the blues are exceptionally light. So you could see some really quick precise typing if you were so inclined. I just don't like the force required to type on rubber domes and the spongy nature of them. I didn't like or see the point of blacks. But they were quite light, so maybe at a stretch I can see the point.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

What on earth do you do to them?
    And what do you mean the keys start falling off?

5. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Each to their own really. I gave up trying to convince people to make the switch, even after having people try out the boards I've had.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

:clap: make the switch :lol: lolcats

7. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Well-Known Member

They are a pain for gaming on I find (use them in laptops).

I always thought I wouldn't mind a nice light flat scissor switch for general use but I'm pretty sure now that needing to adjust to them on my desktop would be too much.

8. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Personally very happy with my Logitech Illuminated keyboard (so scissor switch). I haven't tried any modern mechanical keyboards though, so in the future I might give them a go and see what I make of them. I have a lot of issues with my hands and fingers (mainly the knuckles) and thus far I've found the low profile nature of the logitech helpful to alleviate that discomfort somewhat.

9. SonnyJim

SonnyJim Member

I went from a low profile Enermax Aurora keyboard to a CMStorm a few months ago. The Enermax had a mechanical-esque action to it, so the change wasn't drastic. The only niggles I had with the CMStorm, were the higher profile keys and noise of the red switches.
    I really like it though. Couldn't go back. Rubber domes make my fingers feel sick!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

See, beg to differ. I play a very many large number of games perfectly well on Apple's keyboards. That said, I don't game on a laptop, which may be where the difference lies (ie: I have a full size deck, not one with narrower gaps between keys etc).

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think if you're someone who either doesn't care or prefers cheaper keyboard technology then frankly you are one of the lucky ones, and should let your bank account breathe a sigh of relief.

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I just like my buckling springs. D:

13. Toploaded

Toploaded New Member

I might roll the dice on a Cherry Red / Brown I guess, won't be too hard to resell if hardly used.