1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM2 prices released + date

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ab$olut, 7 Apr 2006.

1. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

2. ashikamlani

ashikamlani What's a Dremel?

now would be a very bad time to buy a processor. If you can hold on, AM2 is to be released shortly as is Intel's Conroe, which from first looks appears to blow away anything that AMD have at the moment. It would be very advisable for you to wait a bit, if you can

also when AM2 comes out the old 939's may well go down in price

3. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

well I just did a currecncy conversion and a 3800x2 am2 works out at £178 about £30 cheaper than the 939 :D think I will wait.

4. ashikamlani

and you get the (hopefully) beneficial DDR2 RAM as well

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm always saying that waiting is pointless, and there's no such thing as futureproofing etc... but with AM2 practically right here, right now, and Conroe not much behind, buying into a new system (especially 939) now is crazy. Let's see how Conroe performs in real life against AM2.. that's my advice.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'd still buy a Conroe.

Considering the potential performance gain that's been quietly whistled around the net and the expense of DDR2 800, if I was upgrading now I'd just buy a faster 939 then waste expense on that.

7. ashikamlani

the message then:
    wait for Conroe?

8. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

I think I will wait for both.... see how they fair up head to head im betting on amd comming on top in gaming but lets see.. I will buy whatever is faster for gaming ;)

9. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Yeah, if conroe continues to pwn AM2 then at least AMD have a head start on selling their chips...

10. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I'd been waiting for AM2 since the day it was rumored, thinking that it was a true badass in the making but after some time passed it basically showed that the AM2 is just a DDR2 version of 939 and it was more expensive and had more things to deal with.

The only true contender for the next gen would be conroe.....and thats what im leaning to even tho im a AMD fanboi.

11. ashikamlani

how much later is conroe expected than AM2? because if it is a lot later, AMD could make a lot on their AM2 becuase people wont want to wait for Conroe

12. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Conroe is expected in Q3, so will still be a wait. Unless Intel bring the release forward, which they're in the habit of doing at the moment.

I think the performance of Conroe is fairly over-estimated, but AMD will definitely have to come up with something new to compete.

13. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

O Rly?

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Conroe, from the inital performance figures is looking pretty damn quick. Its the only chip recently (bar dothan) thats made my mouth drop. The performance of the chips is just simply awsome.
    Stock 2.4ghz, on a crappy bios, poor ram and PASSIVE COOLING = 21.9secs pi 1m. Some pretty damn nice CPU scores in the 3dmarks too... Ok they're synthetic benchies however, would LOVE to see AMD get close to that with AM2 (in the near future anywho)
    Would also seem Intel's going to be aggresively pricing the chips too. The only spanner in the works atm, is the lack of a decent multi GPU motherboard for Intel.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Good luck on that, Mr. Fanboi ;)

16. alastor

alastor Minimodder

None of the pictures load for me, time out :confused:

But from reading the thread, it looks...fairly fast :jawdrop:

Although, who knows what will happen in the next 6 months, alot of things can change.

17. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Lol thats the first time I've ever been called a fanboi...

Conroe looks great, I don't think AMD will be competing until sometime next year, IF all of the synthetic benchmarks mirror real-world performance. Until I see real world numbers from a retail product, both Conroe and AM2, I'm sitting on the fence.

18. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Conroe looks to be very fast, but anything dual-core or above is again going to be held back by the NetBurst FSB which is, frankly, pretty crappy. They're boosting it another speed grade, but they really need to revamp their platform so that they don't have the gem that is Core stuck behind all this old technology. Of course, the large shared L2 cache should help reduce bus contention and enable it to keep going through a steady stream of data, but I think they will pay the price on large-scale multiprocessor systems.

Woodcrest, to me, is a bit dodgy because Intel still haven't come up with an answer to AMD's EV6 technology (well they did, but it was scrapped). A shared FSB is going to be a serious bottleneck to SMP systems, and consequently I think we'll have to wait until the next generation of server processors before they truly push the performance lead past AMD's upcoming 65nm Opterons.

That having been said, I'd still buy a Conroe ;)

19. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Well those figures look like they may have changed my decision about upgrading to a x2 in a few months time, although like many have already said, i think i'll sit on the fence until some retail products start to appear. I've been an amd man since getting my last P3, but if conroe delivers on its promises then hell i'll have no problems switching back to intel :)

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Conroe does look awesome, but the key to having a monster setup will be if they can pull a mobo with SLi/xFire from the mist and make it work. That'll be the crux of this - the Conroe might be the cruncher's choice with AM2 being the gamer's choice.

Having said that, I'd expect AM2 to kick some ass, but it might not keep up.

No-one can tell just yet, we'll have to wait and see. :D