1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon gives PS3 refunds for Linux removal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Apr 2010.

1. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

The customer installs the firmware and thus agrees with the terms. As it's an optional update Sony is not liable and neither is the retailer.

Mutliplayer servers from games are closed all the time, do you really think people can just get their money back because they can't use all the features of a game anymore.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2010
  2. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

I would speak to Citizen's Advice first and also Trading Standards. They should be able to help you better than me (save for the advice I've already given). While pointing them in the direction of the Sale of Goods Act 1979, you may also want to mention the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2010
  3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

If you do not agree with the terms you can not play the newer games...

4. swin70

swin70 What's a Dremel?

There is probably something buried in most terms that states 'We cannot be held liable for destroying anything', yet as you say, you have to accept them to do anything - Catch-22

5. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

6. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Try this one...

My car has a central computer that controls everything, I have edited it and enabled and disabled features. Lets pretend VW issued a recall on one of the numerous failure points of the MkV platform (like that would ever happen) and I took my car to the dealership to get it addressed. While there the dealership disables all the mods and features I did and locks me out of the computer, deletes software I (had) installed on the ECU, and returns me the car minus features but with something else fixed.

Is that fair?

I just lost most of what I liked about the car, it still runs but all the bells and whistles have been turned off because Volkswagen wanted to. I have done work, I have improved something I bought and it gets destroyed. Was it in the dealership's right to turn off features the car came from the factory with even if they were not enabled at time of delivery? Yes the car is still drivable without rain sensing power windows but damnit, thats not the point!

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    So, you lost the rain sensing power windows ability on your VW.
    Who are you going to bug about it?
    The dealership or VW?

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Both, if it was me. I'd bother them to hell until I got a resolution. Too many companies these days think that if they ignore you for a while you'll just go away.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

In the firmware updating screens, iirc it says something along the lines of if you don't update you lose the ability to sign into PSN.

I bought my phat a couple of years ago from Argos and the OtherOS always intrigued me. I never got round to using it tbh but I'd much prefer for the option to still be there. It wasn't a deciding factor on originally purchasing the PS3 at the time - the PS2 compatibility disappearing pushed me to get one.

Tags: Add Tags