1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon launches MP3 downloader for Linux

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Installed it perfectly without a hitch, however the "free" songs still require payment information.

Nice idea though.

3. theevilelephant

theevilelephant New Member

yay its about time! im pleased that companies are starting to take notice of linux as a real alternative.

4. Supra55

Supra55 New Member

Wow, that's amazing. Make a MP3 player for an Open-Source OS but the player itself is closed source? I'm pretty sure there's a reason Linux has been mainly Open-Source for a very long time...

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Mainly because many of the people who develop for Linux believe in free software but there is no reason why one cannot develop a closed source app for the platform. If any thing more closed source apps would be a good thing, for a given value of good, getting some good "killer" apps might add to the critical mass. This is a good thing in general, but i probably won't bother since on the very rare occasion I buy music i like to go old school and get these shiny round things.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i consider this a good thing... at least it came to linux....

7. z4114

z4114 FACE!

I'm glad to see some another program with a linux version. It's making the urge to put it on my desktop stronger. <rant>Why can't the games I enjoy have native linux ports?</rant> I've never used a music downloading service like iTunes or this Amazonmp3. Are you able to re-download any mp3s that you've purchased in case of a hard drive crash?

From Amazonmp3
    Aww. That's a bummer.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2008
  8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

DX

Many openGL games are ported.

9. z4114

z4114 FACE!

I know, I'm just your typical linux one step above newb. I like wine and cedega but to be able to install right out of the gate (like Quake 4 and other Id games) would be nice.

Anyhow, I'm quite surprised at the amount of music on their service. I like some pretty obscure stuff (ska mostly) and I'm not having any problems finding what I want.

Sigh, just what I needed. Another way to have money fly out of my bank account at breakneck speeds.

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Whats the DRM structure and how do you get around it?

The reason I ask is that my music lives on my fileserver and is played from one of two desktops in the room, and most DRM schemes consider that somehow bad.

Either way, I'll probably try this just on general principals. It still bugs me though because if it wern't for their stupid DRM then the sites could be machine independent. Remember, AOMP3 never needed a "linux version"

I sure miss AOMP3

11. z4114

z4114 FACE!

I don't think there is a DRM scheme attached to it. After reading up on the FAQ and T&Cs, the software is only used to download and queue up tracks. You can do it all from your web browser if you'd like but you're limited to one track at a time downloading and no way to queue a whole album. Sounds like it's a glorified download manager with a way to transmit payment details. They come in as DRM-free 256k bitrate mp3s and then you're free to do what you want with them (edit: within the terms and conditions).

Last edited: 3 Mar 2008
  12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Interesting, I'll definatly take a look at it then.

Besides, I use Opera which has a built in download manager, though a limited one.

Tags: Add Tags