1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD A10-7850K and A10-7700K (Kaveri) Reviews

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 30 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

With rumors saying Dice is rolling out their long awaited BF4 Mantle patch in the next few hours/days and with AMD supposedly releasing 14.1 Beta drivers supporting Mantel, would there be a chance of revisiting the BF4 benchmarks ?

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It'll be fascinating to see if Mantle can do anything for AMD, my feeling is it can't but I'm willing to be surprised.

4. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Yeah, if Mantle does launch today I'll probably give it a few days plus the weekend for issues to be found and removed, then get to testing on Monday.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

6. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

YYEEEESSS! Perfect, can't wait to try this out when I get home and slot in my new hyperx beast 2400mhz in the kaveri rig!

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

oh and yes kevari shows scaling beyond 2133 ram - 2400 is faster as well ;)

8. rollo

rollo Modder

looks like they tested for you.

14% faster on a 7850k with mantle.

the headline 58% is in single player with multiple gpus. ( anyone actually play bf4 single player )

Would like to see the multiplayer tested again on a none AMD cpu as its been held back by that CPU acording to Dice.

Will run some testing of my own later on, Enough it seems the 7000 series is unsupported on launch so I guess my 7970 will not work for testing purposes hmm.

9. Dogbert666

Yeah, we only used 2,133 since that what they're officially rated for, but certainly the faster memory the better. Advice is to get the fastest kit possible without breaking the bank.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AMD needs to pull its finger out and publish the 14.1 Beta drivers to go with it, until then we still only have AMD's figures to go on, and the numbers they have published look a bit odd.
    Yes we see a claimed %58 in a crossfire rig, but as another site claims it seems Mantel "shows itself most dramatically when you are in a heavily CPU limited environment."

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Me, first game I completed this year :blush:

Only problem I found with the APU is that you have to do FSB overclocking for higher memory speeds, will be less of a problem with Kaveri as it has a 2133 but on my old A10 it was tricky to do more than 2100 as FSB went too high, have they put more multis than 2133 support in Kaveri or does it still need FSB overclock.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2014
  12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

ocuk have some 2400 kits for £60 (8gb)

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

A crossfire setup will likely be CPU limited.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Almost definitely. The thing that struck me as odd was that i got the impression Mantel was intended to improve the GPU side of things, but as it turns out it seems to be a greater benefit in CPU bound situations.

Cant wait to see how much benefit this brings to Kaveri, as unless I'm having a senior moment from what i can tell the CPU part of Kaveri is what is letting it down in terms of FPS.

15. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Well you actually say it yourself. It improves on the GPU part of things, to such an extent that the cpu becomes less of a factor and/or bottleneck.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Still is the bottleneck acording to dice though.

17. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

And I think that is part of the problem. The price isn't THAT much more to go from DDR3-1600 2x4GB to DDR3-2400 2x4GB, but it is another $15+. Considering the much lower price of an Intel core i3 Haswell processor, combine that with using less expensive memory, and you are a good part of the way to a low end discrete GPU...which will provide better performance in most CPU AND GPU tasks then, at barely more money.

I see the appeal to Kaveri and it is a good step forward on the GPU front, but on the CPU front it doesn't do much. It seems to maybe hold the line, but AMD was already so far behind the line that doesn't mean much. If you want CPU performance, Intel, if you want an inexpensive machine and don't really care about GPU performance, pretty much Intel again. If you really care about gaming, probably Intel again for the CPU and discrete GPU(s). If you need a real budget gaming rig, or an HTPC that can also double as a gaming rig and are very size limited, THEN Kaveri/AMD makes sense.

Thats a relative edge case. Even basic office tasks, the performance difference (especially because a lot of the stuff is single threaded/light multithreaded) between a low end Intel Pentium Haswell processor even and AMD means you'll have a better entry level computer experience with the Intel Pentium, with a fine GPU that'll handle your Youtubes and Facebooks and flash games and browser GPU acceleration, but generally have better single thread performance and light multithreading and probably also cost around $50-60, cheaper than a bottom of the barrel Kaveri.

18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its a lot closer than you want to think

the top of the line 7850k is $184 on newegg

the i3 4330 is $135

so the $50 difference gets you a WORSE gfx card - to get one comparable its $75 (R7 240)

and I would suggest you check ram price - teamgroup CL10 2400 is $2 more than 1600 CL11

19. Dogbert666

azazel1024, I agree to an extent, and I went to some length to outline in the conclusion that Kaveri certainly isn't a one stop solution for all user needs. Harlequin is also right; I didn't check 2,400MHz prices but in the UK I was able to find 2,133MHz kits that were just £1 or £2 dearer than £1,600MHz ones. DDR4 is coming and manufacturers need to shift the higher speed DDR3 kits.

It depends what you mean by basic office tasks, but while I won't argue that single threaded performance favours Intel's processors, I would say that the entry level experience doesn't rely on CPU-intensive tasks.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

overclockers has 8Gb 2400 ram for 56quid

In office scenarios I am hard pressed to tell the difference between my 4.9Ghz 3770 and my daughters underclocked a10.

She can game nicely on her a10 chip, I was impressed anyway, it isn't even as good as Kaveri being one of the old 5700s.

Tags: Add Tags