1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD announces R9 300, R9 Fury and R9 Nano cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 16 Jun 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Staff Administrator

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Interesting, especially the Fury X and Fury, as rumours were only indicating a single card for the initial launch. Now we just need to see proper benchmarks from reliable sites and see how they stack up against the 980/980Ti/Titan.

3. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

This Summer's Steam sale has put me in an unusual position with regards my GFX card upgrade desire. I now have so many games that do not require the next best GFX cards that I doubt AMD can tempt me to upgrade from my 980 SLi.

Their new cards really would have to blow me away, and I just don't think that will happen.

4. Rotcrack

Rotcrack Food Maestro.

Can you comment on whether you have already/will be receiving cards to test prior to release?

5. Dogbert666

Yep. We've no current plans for the R9 300/R7 300 series launch on the 18th. We will be reviewing Fury X for the launch on the 24th June, which will also serve as an introduction of our new X99-based GPU test system and several new benchmarks. After that, I'm actually off until the end of July so I don't know what the team's plans are for the launch of Fury on the 14th July. I am hoping that I'll be back in time to cover the Nano launch, and we'll of course be looking to review the dual-GPU Fiji card when it launches in autumn :)

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

The teeny tiny card is most interesting to me. My triple slot 7970 behemoth has been and still is brilliant, but a small card like that could let me change to case half the size of the TJ08.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

did you see that dual gpu card! smaller than some single cards!

8. specialworks

specialworks Design matters

Nice to see the innovation, the memory bandwidth will clearly given them a lead over competing nV parts in the synthetic tests, but as to real-world performance... that'll be make-or-break for AMD. Have to be concerned about Fiji yields, die costs and vitally therefore, availability; the Nano is the only close-to-mainstream new silicon AMD will get to market in 2015...
    hopefully (for the sake of competition) AMD's margins are not as thin as I think they are... as meanwhile nV can iterate and shave costs on their generational Maxwell architecture lead.
    Watch this space...

9. Chicken76

Chicken76 Active Member

With the R9 300 series appearing in stores in a couple of days, do you have details about the European prices? Those US price quotations usualy do not translate well over the Atlantic.

10. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

So what this actually means is it will be a bit more powerful (10-20% maybe?) than a 290X but only use half the power?

11. Deders

Deders Well-Known Member

Interesting that they are releasing 2 types of card simultaneously. Are the Fiji cards there for users who need more ram that Fury can handle right now?

Also wondering what the power demands are for the dual Fury card.

12. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

Well from a marketing perspective a 4GB limit is a weakness, one which Nvidia will no doubt exploit, and there won't be any 8GB HBM cards available until well into next year.

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Forgot the link? :thumb:

Interesting stuff. For someone like me who doesn't really need the latest and greatest power/performance/price will be especially interesting. Even though I have almost always had nvidia cards (and use one right now) I want AMD to have something to compete with nvidia on all fronts, if just to drive prices down.

14. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

First world problems!:lol:

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

16. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

That PCB is incredibly tightly packed! I bet that's a bloody hot card.

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Close to it but the Nano is aparently a 175W TDP card, half the TDP of the 290x would be around 145W, still a very nice card for a SFF build though.

As the pictures show it's only using two 8pin power connectors we know it's going to be under 375W, that may sound like a lot but (imo) that's pretty darn good for a dual GPU card.

If anyone is wondering apparently the liquid cooling is a custom built solution provided by CoolerMaster, some nice pictures of it have surfaced via videocardz.com.

[​IMG]

Interesting to see part of the cooling solution covering some of the VRM components.

18. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

The duel gpu card will be the interesting one. That and the Nano are the 2 I'm looking at.

Expect fiji x to perform around the 980ti. If they had a Titan beating card they would price it as such. No one gonna lose £200+ per card sale if it out performs it.

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm very impressed with that design - I was wondering how they would get away with not having a fan on the card itself to cool VRMs etc

20. Dogbert666

Yep! Sorry - fixed now, thanks!

Tags: Add Tags