1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD announces Ryzen 5 hex-core, quad-core line-up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Mar 2017.

1. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The problem with that is that diminishing returns will bleed your bank account dry faster than a slot machine if you want to squeeze the last bit out of yields, in other words, having Cpus where only some of the cores work is an inevitability.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD cannot afford to do it any other way, that's the reality of the situation.

I do wonder how 2+2 will perform in real world scenarios.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Remember the X4 960T? the T is the giveaway - it was the hex core Thuban, but 2 core locked off for a price sensitive market.

4. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

That is what i enjoy about Gareth's rebukes, you can ALWAYS give both barrels if you know what your talking about and do your research.

Can you send my tenner via Paypal, Mr Halfacree. Thanks.

Brown_nose69@aol.com

:)

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm ace, me.
    Dude, c'mon, via PM, man. Psh. Some shill you turned out to be!

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There was a T that was given to some one like HP for pre built rigs. It too was a quad core that unlocked to a hex.

AMD do this all of the time. Unlike Intel though they leave the Easter eggs in, rather than cutting/locking them out completely.

Cheaper lower core/thread CPUs sell in higher numbers. That's why they can afford to hide bits of it and sell it. It's all turn and burn. They pay per wafer, so I guess as long as they make a healthy profit on each wafer it doesn't matter which method they've used.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2017
  7. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

As 'one of those guys' still using my Week 1 purchased Sandybridge i5-2500k, I am interested to see how the hexcore pieces pan out.

Whilst I don't think my current computer experience is poor (I use it rarely due to family/work and when I do only for CSGO). I am conscious of becoming quite behind on the ancillary aspects such as NVME, UEFI, full USB3 support (any other important once I've missed? pcie version?).

I therefore have an itch for an upgrade but the price of the skylake processors seems daft (I think I paid ~£200 for my i5-2500k), plus I have a soft spot for AMD as my first self build was an Athlon 1900xp.