1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD announces support for Havok Physics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

Some of the PhysX content I've seen looks really good now it's on the GPU and you know how critical we were of PhysX on the PPU card... it was pants. And Ageia had no installed base, which meant no games could use the effects in such a way that'd break gameplay if you didn't have the PPU add-in card. We'll have to see how good it ends up being when it's actually shipping code running PhysX on the GPU now there's a big installed base behind the engine (70m+ CUDA GPUs).

Havok has had some great implementations in the past, but I can't help but feel a large portion of the engine really needs to be accelerated on the GPU to get the best performance/most realistic effects. The CPU will still be used for certain effects, but not all, because it's a better fit in some cases.

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

seeing is believing...

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

So are you going to have to have two computers with different CPUs to get the physics in all your games, or will these be cross compatible? Or will game manufacturers have to code for both Havok and PhysX in every game to insure that customers can play their game regardless og what CPU they have.

While I think the advancement of physics for gaming is great, I'm afraid that if the need to support two different physics engines without a standardized API will be another arguement for developers to work with consoles first.

Tags: Add Tags