1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Athlon "Thoroughbred"?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hitman, 20 Jan 2003.

1. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

I wanted to know what the major differences between the AMD Athlon "Thoroughbred", and non-thoroughbred are.

Is it worth paying the extra for the Thoroughbred?

2. olv

olv he's so bright

You dont pay for the extra "Thoroughbred" so to speak. Thoroughbred is the name given to the core of the processor. This is the newest AthlonXP core and with the 2200+ being the first Thoroughbred A and then the 2400+ was the first Thoroughbred B. B is simply the latest revision of the core so that it is more efficient, keeps cooler, overclocks better. The original XP's had the Palamino core but this is gradually being phased out from 1700+ with the new Thoroughbred B cores.

3. Fowler

Fowler mmm Cosworth

^^ he said it all!

:lol:

4. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

as far as i can say thouroughbred is a .13micron cpu whereas the non thoroughbred cpus are old .15micron cpus...

5. Trebor95

Trebor95 What's a Dremel?

werent the non thoroughbreds you speak of called Palomino's and 0.18u?

EDIT - d'oh just seen OLv_'s post :)

6. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Pretty much as he said but also take into account the overclockability the chips.

Palamino has the least potential, next Thoroughbred A then B

For how to identify then check out www.overclockers.com they have bags of info on identifying which is which

7. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

From what you have said, its best to go for the Thoroughbred then, as I will be trying overclocking (which I haven't actually done before).

8. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

thats the one...got the numbers mixed up...

9. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

If you want to get a good overclock then you'd best look at those CPU codes since the amount that a Thoroughbred will overclock varies greatly between the A and B stepping.

Simply at the moment a B stepping will almost certainly get you to 2GHz and beyond an A stepping probably won't. It pays to research it

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

MSI say my still youthful MSI Turbo LE will take the XP1800+ Palamino but not a Thoroughbred. :waah:

So anybody know the other differences? Or how I can tell the difference stood in a shop?

11. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Side by side a T'bred's core (the little bit in the middle) will be smaller than a Palomino.

If you don't have 2 side by side then the next way to check is the CPU codes written on the CPU. I think that a Palomino has the CPU codes written on the die whilst the T'breds have it in a black box on the substrate, regardless read the code, an example is below.

AX1800DMT3C: Voltage
    AX1800DMT3C: Maximum temperature

Voltage

L: 1.50V
    U: 1.60V
    K: 1.65V
    M: 1.75V

You want one with a code as shown above with M as the 4th last letter, All Palominos have a default core voltage of 1.75V whereas a T'bred will be either 1.6 or 1.65.

At the moment I know that Dabs are selling Palominos at the moment but that should change soon. You might also want to do a little checking around on the forums and MSI's website as I bet that your board would take a T'bred

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Thanks for the info. MSI say no, the forum moderator says no, so I think I'll hang on until the next major upgrade. The "upgradeable motherboard" joker strikes again. :waah:

13. olv

olv he's so bright

I think it's worth to point out that anything 2200+(i.e. 2200+/2400+/2600+[both 266 and 333 FSB]/2700+) can only be a thoroughbred and 2400+ and above can only be Thoroughbred B's. I wouldn't recommend a 2200+ Thoroughbred A as they are comparitively poor overclockers and are hotter then palamino's and thoroughbred B's. I've seen Thoroughbred B 1700+/1900+/2100+ with 2100+'s overclocking even better then my 2400+. If you are going to buy an AthlonXP chip soon then i would definately make sure you get a thoroughbred.