1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Aug 2008.

1. bogie170

bogie170 New Member

I think the next Cat drivers will also add an extra boost to this as its still running off beta drivers. Also the sideport tech is not enabled which will further increase gains at high resolutions when they enable it in a driver update. Could be an ace up the sleve?!

I just bought one from overclockers. £380 inc delivery. ouch! My present to myself though as am off to the Gulf for 6 months so no more spending for me!

Looking forward to Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and STALKER Clear Sky with DX10 on this card! Can't wait!

Last edited: 13 Aug 2008
  2. Nikumba

Nikumba Member

Best save up for one of these and i7 upgrade

Kimbie

3. Tyrmot

Tyrmot New Member

Bravo ATi then, looks like a great piece of hardware, and as many have mentioned, this competition is good for everyone! (But particularly us end-users :)

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I dont have a problem with the price amd wants for it, but with the gouging thats going on at uk online shops, more expensive than any other country and that even before vat.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I didn't experience any during the time I was testing this card... but I think it warrants quite a deep investigation. Some people say it's there, some don't - but it was definitely there on the 3870 X2 when tested back to back with the 4870 X2.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Page 4 para 6 - 'With Read Pacing, this read requests that are taking longer than expected should be better scheduled to hide potential performance dips.' change this to the

The Crysis DX10 scores for the 9800GX2 seem a bit cock-eyed when AA is enabled. I was thinking that, at 1280x1024 with no AA, that the GX2 was doing a remarkably good job at scaling, then looking at the 2xAA thought, ooh that's not too good. Then, getting to the 1920x1200 2xAA bench and it's back up there with the best, topping a single 4870. What gives?

The trouble with doubling up a GTX 280 might be the sheer physical size of it. It's bad enough that you could abseil off it when stood on its end.

Page 11 para 1 -'graphically ambitious games on release, with a three whole medieval middle eastern cities to explore' transpose

Page 11 first table overlays the adverts in Firefox.

Also noticing extremely poor scaling for the 9800GX2 in Race Driver. Particularly where the 9800GTX far outpaces it!

Last page para 1 -'hasn’t held for almost longer than it I dare think about.' omit it

-- Excellent review. Like a bottle of warm wine, it's given me something to mull over.

7. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

You're right, I was comparing to GTX 280 and 260.

A 4850 appears to be...sufficient in most games.

Best regards,

Xir

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan New Member

Nice performance until a GTX280X2 comes along.... or the 55n version of it...
    But until then it has the performance crown ;)

Those BitTech review gurus. Even paper 'data sheets' of chips get a operational take down. you guys rock!

Last edited: 13 Aug 2008
  9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yes Please in Theory.

But its too big for my case, and uses too much power.

10. foetus

foetus New Member

This card is pre-ordable in my area ( NL - BE ) starting at 420 to 460 Euros. Comparing it with the 280GTX starting at 390 to 550 ( old prices Cheesecake ) this card is just superb good value for money!
    Given the fact that almost no shops has it in stock, i'm guessing prices are going to go down a bit really soon. Pushing Nvidia once more to do something about their ridiculous pricing.

If only it drew a bit less juice i'd get one :<

Nicely indept review guys, good job! Unlike the recent stuff anandtech has given out...

11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Nice review, the card looks to have at least improved on the crossfire performance of the 3870 X2 whilst maintaining the strong performance of the 4xxx series cards. Would like an in-depth review of the 4850X2 as this could be an interesting alternative to a GTX260/280 at a similar price point.

12. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

As has been said before, a single GPU option is more attractive prospect. Dual GPU cards always seemed to me like just a lazy way of getting more performance out of an architecture, rather than designing something truly special.

Having said this, however, some of the benchmarks are very impressive.

13. JCBeastie

JCBeastie New Member

Don't over-analyse things, we have a stonking fast ATi card, and this is the important bit; BLACK PCB!!!

So sick of red cards clashing with my mobo.

:p

14. Timmy_the_tortoise

My red 4850 goes canny well with my bright blue gigabyte mobo. :)

15. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Power draw at full load is twice what my entire system uses at the moment. Does it buzz like a CRM-114 amplifier just before you play Crysis?

(Back to the Future reference.)

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

You're right... it's stonking fast and I think that's great for anyone in this industry. We just need a good round of PC games to push boundaries further (but I'm sure that'll upset people that don't want to keep this industry progressing). Without pushing the boundaries, this industry won't be around forever so let's make the most of it while we can. :)

17. Timmy_the_tortoise

Thanks a lot.. now I have to break out my Trilogy boxset and watch every BTTF movie tonight so I get that reference...

Not that that is a bad thing.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

We spent a long time testing the GX2 on multiple occasions and it's not the first time we've seen strange behaviour like this. I think it could be related to a combination of drivers and microstuttering (which is a real problem on the 3870 X2 and not so much on the 4870 X2).

You couldn't double it up... it's massive - max board power would be over 350W, I reckon.

Yep, Race Driver is another game that often suffers from poor scalability... it's understood to have microstuttering issues as well.

Thanks, and thanks for the corrections too... it's strange to think it's nearly 2 months since my last full-length article! :blush:

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

its fast. is there anything else to say? lol

now to wait what nvidia's comin up with for holiday season...........

20. naokaji

naokaji whatever

nvidia is fighting back, with ati strategy, if you cant compete for performance crown, drop prices to the point where they barely (if at all) make money linky

Tags: Add Tags