1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD confirms grey-screen crash

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Feb 2010.

1. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

psst, actually Farfalho, he put that in there to see if he could get a rise out of crazyceo. Sarcasm f t w . :D

Last edited: 1 Feb 2010
  2. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

I've had a lot of problems with Dragon Age on my 5770. I actually thought it was Dragon Age.

At least they're admitting it, if it's out in the public domain then there is a better chance they'll do something about it.

3. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I saw this mentioned quite a lot on the Rage 3D forums and wasn't sure whether it was a common issue, as i haven't experienced it to date. Looks like they were right. At least they have recognised it is partly a driver issue and that it is their responsibility to fix it.

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

LMFAO @ the AMD fanboys coming in for the rescue.

They dropped the ball bigtime and are scurrying as quickly as their little feet can carry them.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Good for AMD, really they are at least brave enough to admit to a mistake..

With that said...how exactly did they get away with this?

6. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

i have NO problems with my HD 5870 with Catalyst 10.1 and Windows 7 64-bit
    so it has to be a user error ;)

7. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

my 5850 has been full of fail. okay, since ive updated to beta drivers i havent had the grey screen, however i still continue to get video playback glitches (mainly in fullscreen), and screen tearing issues in firefox and a few other windowed programs (despite 'forcing' v-sync')

8. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

absolute bollocks

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

[SIZE="THE BIGGEST MOTHERFUNKING SIZE YOU'VE GOT"]
    UNLEASH THE CAPSLOCK FURY! ;) j/k

Hope this doesn't affect their mobile/laptop gpu's.

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

What is "only a few" if every mayor tech site forum in every country is full of people complaining about the Grey/blue/red/green stripes or grey/blue/black/green etc screens? on the 4 and 5 series of ATI cards.

Tell me!

11. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Observations from the frontline:
    I spend my days chained to rack full of gaming PCs so I've seen a few GSODs.

Many failures due to an OC will be put down to the cards as a GSOD may also occur on 124 (AKA insufficient CPU voltage) and memory related errors. So check you event log first 116 or 117 is Graphics. In my experience this is far more likely to be the problem even in stock clocked systems poor RAM/settings can cause crashes.

I have a system under testing at the moment that will run Prime95 and Furmark simultaneously but has intermittent crashes (Display Device Stopped Working...) on the desktop and in Direct3D. i.e. the CPU and Graphics are rock solid but the error still occurs. Unigene Heaven is a good tool to use as it can test in OpenGL and DX9,10 & 11 which can help isolate the problem. This is the first system I have seen with the exact issue so it is fairly rare. Changing the 5850 for a different brand did not solve it. I changed the RAM from GSKill to OCZ and it hasn't GSODed yet we'll see if it's still running in the morning.

Forcing Windows Vista/7 to run in Basic mode can stop the desktop freezes.

Something else I've noticed is that the systems that end up doing this often get the wrong Windows Index Score typically 6.0.

Sometimes the 9.12 driver will eliminate the issue, sometimes 10.1 will.

The problem is similar to one seen with the 4870x2 and 3870x2 shortly after launch.

8800 GTX/Ultra nvdklm problem has a similar failure mode in 3DMark06 was sometimes fixed by changing memory brand/type despite Memetest/Prime/IntelBurn stable memory.

12. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Hmm, i don't dispute it is an issue for a fair number of people, but i can only say what my own experience is, and that is running a Sapphire 5870 24/7 on Windows 7 since around the launch date. I've run furmark, vantage, heaven benchmark multiple times, with maximum settings and have played numerous games for hours on end, including demanding DX10/DX11 titles and not had a single crash. Lately i've been playing the BF:BC2 beta for several hours a night and still no problems.

I can only assume that it is either specific combinations of software and/or hardware or something that will occur randomly at some point in the indeterminate future...

13. TheHalfWit

TheHalfWit Call me dino

Personally I have a 5770 and can attest to this problem, I thought it was my PSU so I replaced that, and I still have this issue, albeit less frequently with the 10.1 drivers. I thought it was because I was OC my cpu too hard, e8400.

Note: The PSU replacement was planned anyway for a crossfire setup I'm planning, (CM Storm Scout, too small for a 58xx or 5970.) It was just rushed because of this.

14. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

OK, the system in my above post has responded positively to the memory change.

So despite the memory passing Memtest and Prime95 Blend testing the memory appears to have caused the problem.

I'll try and repeat the fix, for verification, next time the bug crops up.

15. samuelmorris

samuelmorris What's a Dremel?

Having owned a 4870X2 from the get go it's dissapointing to see the HD5s get off to a more rocky start with software (given for example the inflated cursor bug), but saying that, CF scaling seems a little bit better from the off this time.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

is there any new word on a release date for this fix? we have stopped selling ATI cards at least the generation effected as we have already had to much backlash from customer complaints so we are hoping this fix comes out soon like this month soon ^^

17. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Tags: Add Tags