1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Cooln'Quiet issues.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stratus311, 4 Apr 2005.

1. Stratus311

Stratus311 What's a Dremel?

I was just in my local computer shop and was asking them about some different things and we got on the subject of the AMD Cool n' Quiet feature turning the CPU fan off completely sometimes. I told the guy I had never seen that before and he gave me a demonstration. Sure enough, the fan turns off completely at idle. He said that is part of AMD Cool n' Quiet which throttles the CPU fan depending on load. Well, my comp has never done that with Cool n' Quiet enabled and it runs at a cool 28*C at idle. The guy at the comp store said it should be enabled in the BIOS but there is no option for it in my BIOS. Any ideas what could be the problem.

My specs are:
    AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Socket 754
    Gigabyte K8VM800M mobo
    Win XP Home
    160GB HDD
    768MB RAM

BIOS version F4

Thanks for any help or ideas.

2. blah

blah Minimodder

1)Download the AMD 64 Driver , type AMD64 Driver into google adn get the exe version
    2)Go into screen saver settings and the power mode. Turn it to minimal power management.

Then it should all work fine.

You sure it isn't under PC Health stuff?

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Iirc 25 deg is the threshold at which the fan totally turns off, not 100% sure on that though. This could be why the fan isnt stopping.
    Try installing speedfan and manually adjust the fan manually, though the fan should be spinning pretty slowly at 28 deg anways tbh...

4. Stratus311

Yeah I've looked in Health Status in BIOS but no options there. I've already downloaded and installed the AMD64 driver and set power managment to minimal. I also have Speedfan installed but cannot figure out how to adjust fan speeds manually.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

afaik, Cool 'n' Quiet also throttles the CPU speed, doesn't it?

6. Stratus311

Yes it throttle the CPU multiplier and voltage while throttling the CPu fan speed to keep the processor cool and quiet. :D My problem is, it doesn't throttle the CPU fan.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's probably temperature related then mate - if you upgraded your cooler, then you might see some improvement afa the fan switching off goes. I suppose the only way to find out is take your rig outside on a cold night or something... :)

8. Stratus311

Yup, just upgraded my cooler to a nice all copper with an 80mm fan and silver thermal compound too.

9. blah

blah Minimodder

I'm currently using a Fan mate 2 and a Freezer 64 on my 3500+ 64 Bit.

I have mounted the dial for the fan mate ontop of the PC. I can manually change the fan speed. I also have cool n quiet on which throttles the CPU speed. The fan is always on minimum and after around 2 hours of Brothers in Arms, Half Life 2 and whatever else it never really reaches above 51 degrees, it idles at about 35-38 degrees. My advice is to buy a Fan Mate 2.

10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Control should work fine via speenfan. There should be 2 (or 3) controls for fans available. Just drop the %'s to decrease the noise. It can also be setup to do this automatically depending upon the cpu temp...
    Run northbridge @ 70% and cpu @ 75 near silent running, just pop them up to 100% when cpu intensive stuff is run :)

11. Pie_uk

Pie_uk British beef, in Britain

cool n quiet

AMD Athlon64 processors have a built-in power management feature called Cool'n'Quiet (C'n'Q). This allows the processor clock speed and voltage to be dynamically adjusted 30 times a second, depending on CPU usage. It can also adjust the the thermally controlled fans supplied with stock AMD heatsinks. This has the effect of lowering average CPU temperatures and power consumption, as well as reducing CPU fan noise levels (only with a suitable fan) during low CPU usage.

For example, when there is low CPU usage (ie net surfing, email, word processing, etc), it can fall back to a slower speed/voltage and slow the fan. At idle CPU usage it can fall back to an even slower speed/voltage. But as soon as there is high CPU usage (ie game, video encoding, etc) it will go back to full speed/voltage.

To enable Cool'n'Quiet (C'n'Q):

* Cool'n'Quiet compatible motherboard BIOS (might need to enable Cool'n'Quiet in BIOS)
    * Latest AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver installed
    * For WinXP - set Power Scheme to 'Minimal Power Management' (Control Panel -> Power Options)
    * For Win2K - set Performance to 'Automatic Mode' (Control Panel -> Power Options -> Cool'n'Quiet tab)

To monitor Cool'n'Quiet power management:

AMD Cool'n'Quiet / PowerNow! Dashboard Demo
    Throttlewatch
    Some motherboard monitor utils (ie MSI Core Center)

Note: Cool'n'Quiet is just a power management feaure and not thermal throttling. So only adjusts CPU performance based on CPU usage and will not lower CPU performance if temps get too hot. Instead, Athlon64 processors only have a built-in 'Thermtrip' feature that completely shuts down the system should CPU temps go way too high (ie heatsink falls off).

Note: DFI do not recommend enabling Cool'n'Quiet if you are planning to overclock. Not sure why exactly.

12. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Cool 'n' quiet only works with the stock CPU multi iirc, hence the reason for DFI suggesting its turned off.
    Also, it scales voltage with cpu speed. So say if you could run 2.4ghz @ 1.6v both these figures would be dropped when c n q reduces the speed. The relationship between speed and voltage may not be linear, so as the cpu speed is dropped, the voltage required maybe insufficent, leading to instability.
    Also, c n q seems to produce a s**t overclock...

13. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Oh, and when you're overclocking the aim isn't for your computer to suddenly slow down in the middle of a 3dmark run...:rolleyes:

14. DanMcr

DanMcr What's a Dremel?

IIRC you can enable CoolnQuiet with a lower multi, but when it kicks in and drops the multi to 5x with 1.0v (Or something like that, i cant remember) when it goes back up, it goes back to the stock multi. Which is bloody stupid if you ask me, expecially if your running say 10x260 and suddenly find yourself at 11x260. (Although not for very long i should imagine)

So yea, leave it off if your overclocking.

15. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Ah yes, you are indeed correct... :D Thats a stupid system :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

16. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

Seems a bit of a contradiction in terms - Overclocking + Cool & Quiet??

Still, thanks for the advice whoever said that you need to set power saving to minimal power management...couldn't for the life of me work out why it wasn't working.

Much better now.

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yes, you can't overclock with CnQ enabled. Well you can, but not using windows apps. It would be dumb though.

Yeah, enable the min power management is the only way to actually make it underclock itself. Not sure why but that's how it goes. They need to make it more obvious... maybe a little addin slip of paper into the retail box :D

18. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I had enabled it in my bios but freaked out when I realised that the cpu fan (and one of my case fans connected to the motherboard) wasn't running.
    I am also positive it caused a bad crash which stopped my pc from booting - The pc had been running for a while, I went away for a few hours and when I came back the pc was off and would not switch on. Everything was fine the following morning.

I've disabled cool and quiet and haven't had a problem like that since.

19. DanMcr

DanMcr What's a Dremel?

Well, i stand corrected. It seems things have moved on since had i play with it on my neo2. According to this thread on XS:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58426
    you can specify the min and max multi for the CPU on the DFI NF4 boards. Havent tried it out yet though.