1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU AMD - Fail or Cheesecake

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Turbotab, 24 Apr 2009.

1. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

With Nehalem grabbing the headlines, I have to ask what happened to AMD's Bulldozer architecture?
    It would be great to have a clock for clock competitive AMD CPU, as an alternative to Intel's upcoming Gulfstown and Sandy Bridge.

2. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Neither of these are gonna be around anytime soon. Intel needs to get i5 out first, and being in a market thats dropping like a stone I cant see Intel rushing any more new tech out (lets face it, who's gonna by it?).

As for Bulldozer (16 cores, modular deisgn, 32nm), it's still not gonna see light of day till 2011 at the earliest.

3. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Yes, these are way down the road. The 32nm die shrink of Nehalem will happen before that.

My opinion of what AMD needs more than anything is to answer Intel platforms, not just CPUs. I thought that was the point of buying ATI, but the seem to have been moving pretty slowly lately.

It doesn't look like their current stuff is doing so well as competition for i7, but maybe they can get some of the i5 market segment when it comes out.

4. nRollo

nRollo NVIDIA Focus Group

I have a Phenom 940 in one of my machines, it's a good chip and a good value. It's not as fast as my 965, but cost $800 less.

5. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

The Gulftown is part of the 32nm shrink of the Nehalem, and according to the roadmaps, it should be out in 1 years time, so not too long to wait. I agree, AMD really need a low cost / low power platform to compete with the Atom.