1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD falsifying benchmarks :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drachnem, 6 Jul 2007.

1. Drachnem

Drachnem Member

2. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

That's not falsifying; that's comparing it against older Intel processors. Falsifying it would be having those numbers, and then when barcelona is released, the numbers are way down.

3. fri2219

fri2219 New Member

The Kobayashi Maru Scenario

yeah, no kidding... leave falsifying benchmarks to database vendors. :)

Wait, that isn't falsifying, it's re-writing the compilers to favor your product.

"I didn't cheat, I improvised." - J.T. Kirk.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2007
  4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

That's why I don't read ZDNet, they try to be sensationlist.

5. Drachnem

Drachnem Member

"Fortunately, all this pressure has forced AMD to promise that they will remove the bogus benchmarks on their Website."

Not sure exactly how they falsified the benches but thats what the site says, so there has to be some truth to it at the least.

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Can't be arsed to track down the facts on this one, but the original article is the most blatant bit of fanboism I've seen outside a console discussion in a long time.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've got a column brewing about this. Basically if AMD feel the need to artificially enlarge their e-penis then there's something very wrong in the works and everyone should dump AMD stock now. I dont think they're going to fix the performance with just a silicon revision cleaning out the bottlenecks. But then, we DONT want to have a situation like there is currently with ATI and NV where the 8800 Ultra is some insane price because there's basically no competition: Intel could do the same thing and just decide to jack up the prices because AMD can't compete and we're all worse off for it. Unlike graphics where they have games with increasing IQs to benchmark against, CPUs dont have the same comparison.

8. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I'm going to wait till they release Barca, then make any judgements.

9. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Joy.
    I believed AMD were just having the usual clockspeed issues with Barcelona, hence the 'simulated' 2.6GHz result.
    - Hoping this isn't true, but will wait until http://www.spec.org comes back online, rather than blindly believe sensationalist cack like that blog!

10. Drachnem

Drachnem Member

I am an Intel guy, I did look into AMD when I was building my new system but everyone said C2D was just beyond AMD. I have noticed as well that since AMD took over ATi that they have been behind on the GPU's they've put out. I have used ATi for 5 years, before that Geforce, before that 3DFX, but again, Nvidia had more to offer than ATi, so I switched. I wonder whats going on over there? I hope they get everything straight, thought I use intel, if they were the only chip there would be price increases and monopoly which would be bad, competition means lower prices and faster push for better chips.

11. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

The benchmarks are predictions of their later-to-be-released models--estimations don't quite constitute falsifying. However, since AMD has remained so tight-lipped about Barcelona, it's sensible to think that these alleged benchmarks are a bit elusive.

If you want a real example of falsifying benchmark results, take look at Intel's quad-core Xeon presentation (PDF format).

You might not notice at first glance that every single example was carefully compared to AMD's older dual-core Opterons. In particular, look at Page 10 of the presentation.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've actually been trying to get to the bottom of the SPEC numbers and performance improvements on Intel CPUs after the April results... I'm starting to think back to when Intel released an updated compiler at the moment, but that's not the confirmed answer yet.

13. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

I'm particularly interested in the ~20% SpecInt_rate2006 increase that Intel have 'discovered' in the last 3 months purely from software/compiler optimisations!:eyebrow:

For a year-old architecture, that's one helluva gain to suddenly introduce, especially given Intel's massive R&D budget.
    - I guess their hardcore coding geeks have been sitting on their hands for the last 9 months..?

The timing of this seems particularly convenient given the imminent arrival of Barcelona. Could Intel have really gone out of their way that much just to rubbish AMD?