1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD FX-8350 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 6 Nov 2012.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

An overclockable i5 will cost you far more than this AMD (K series CPU + Z series mobo). It's not for enthousiast gamers, but more for "multi-thread" user. It's not a bad CPU, but Intel architecture is "better" at the moment.

AMD really need a better memory controller and a reduced engraving process.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2012
  2. runadumb

runadumb New Member

Don't know about you but I went a little pale(r) when I saw the difference in Power consumption between Ivy bridge and the old i7. With that in mind and the fact (like hustler) I'm a huge emulation fan I can see me going Haswell next year.

Just finished Metroid Prime and have moved onto Ratchet & Clank. I can certainly do with a good speed up at times during those two games.

3. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

Yeah its certainly impressive how much Intel managed to improve power consumption while also improving performance, At idle OC'd a 3770k uses roughly half the power compared to a OC'd 920.

4. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

The power use does look a bit :jawdrop:, but just look at the bottom half of the (LOAD) table and feel a little better. :thumb:

Lower power consumption is nice, but an i7 920 with a decent GFX card and an SSD isn't really going to feel any different to a similarly specced Ivy Bridge, outside of benchmarks. As such, and being a tight git, I won't be changing my CPU/Mobo until they start to struggle, something dies or I get a big fat juicy bonus at work (and the missus hasn't already spent it).

5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

As usual from AMD with the FX series; Good attempt, but a bit short of the mark. Had they released this as the first generation, rather than Bulldozer; It might've gotten somewhere.

This just feels like too little too late. I know they're trying to keep backwards compatability, but the Bulldozer chips, at least, benefit from increased memory bandwidth in a pretty pronounced way, sticking with the 990FX Northbridge means they just can't get it. Upgrading to proper 32 bit unidirectional HyperTransport might help, simply because then there wouldn't be a need to clock up the Northbridge just to get more memory bandwidth opened up to the chip.

What's more annoying is that AMD seem to be hobbling themselves, at least with the HT-Link, The 990FX chipset supposedly has support for 32-bit wide HT connections, but every processor is limited to 16 max. I don't understand the logic in it.

6. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Active Member

I don't understand how AMD are still making such hosh posh cpus. For it to be only slightly better than a 2 generation old, previous chipset is just unacceptable. I cant imagine the shareholders being too jolly, either.

7. GuilleAcoustic

sometimes changes seams to be no significant, but maybe this architecture change will require 2 / 3 gen to "shine". I have hope in upcoming gen.

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

yeah because AMD chips power the worlds fastest super computer ;)

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

They'll shift a lot of these in PC World pre-built gaming machines.

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I refer my right honourable gentlemen to my previous documented statement :p

11. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Whaaaaa?

I have hope that we'll find life on Mars... and that Barack will ride again

12. GuilleAcoustic

lol Snips .... you're late, I was expecting you between post #1 and post #1 with a "I TOLD YOU" in all its glory :D

Lemme dream a lil' ... :D. And "Life on Mars" will always refear to the song to me (and more recently, the serie from the BBC UK).

13. Somer_Himpson

Somer_Himpson New Member

AMd are and have been pointless for years, LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES YOU DUMMIES AND CHANGE!

14. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Hang on a minute boys. Before we all go AMD bashing. Lets look at the facts here, AMD wins the idle power consumption race by quite a margin..

So basically if you want to build a PC that spends 90% of it's time doing fu*k all, then Pile driver is then way to go.

On a serious note now, when I built my last rig it was built with Bulldozer in mind and we all know how that turned out, so I waited for pile driver hoping for some thing half decent.
    But as it stands I have no reason to move away from my 1100T.

As much as I like AMD stuff, I can't break it, where as I have trashed a few of Intels finest, I think the next big upgrade for me will have to be a return to Intel again.

15. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Just like to say I have one of these arrived today and it's performing well.

Tomorrow I shall see how far I can push it. But for now BF3 benchies :)

16. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Why you core parking Windows 8? :/

17. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

BF3 is GPU limited; We found no diff from a 4GHz quad core down to a 2GHz dual core. Run shogun 2 instead :)

18. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Much like Metro 2033 then. I'm not all that surprised TBH.

I'm still convinced that the backwards compatability is hurting them. THey can't change anything too radically because then the Northbridge will need changing to suit, which means a whole new line of motherboards, at least.

I'd be curious to look at frame-render times on an AMD system to an Intel one. You'd think, in theory, that they'd be shorter on the Intel, since the NB is in the processor, so it's handing the PCI-E lanes directly, while AMD have to go round the Northbridge, then CPU, then back again.

19. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Well, this is AMDs last cpu from here on out they are just going to APU, Server CPUs, and whatever materializes out of the ARM movement. Your choices for CPU grunt is pretty much going to be Intel, Intel, and Intel in the future.

20. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil New Member

At first I was like 'this looks promising...', but then I was like 'nah, crashed & burned again'; never mind AMD, you'll get it right again, one day...

Tags: Add Tags