1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD hits highest income in seven years

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 26 Jul 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity, cash is reality.

stonedsurd and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Cash is indeed reality, try operating a business with 0 cash in the bank - your turnover could be a trillion dollars but you would still go down the pan pretty fast. Try being unable to pay workers or suppliers for a month or two and see what happens!

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That would be trading while insolvent, and super illegal in the UK.

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

Good for AMD, I plan on going with Intel again for my next mTIX build but I recommend Ryzen to some friends.

6. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Good news for everyone!! except intel i guess..

jb0 likes this.
  7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Mainstream 8 core with alleged 4.7Ghz all core turbo coming soon from Intel:
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/in...700ki5-9600k-specifications-also-exposed.html

And AMD will have no answer until 7nm Zen 2 next year, so at least in the desktop space Intel is about to annihilate everything that came before, plus Intel are nowhere near losing their effective monopoly in Laptops.

Of course in the HEDT space the situation is reversed with AMD about to unleash 32 Core Ripper and the potential to double that next year with almost zero effort... but HEDT is a niche, so its not going to harm Intels bank account all that much.

8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Alleged...

I'm sure it will have the same vulnerabilities as previous generations plus a HUGELY inflated price tag and require phase or LN2 to stop it from throttling owing to the pre bundled ICH toothpaste.

Personally, I'll stick with Ryzen.

MLyons likes this.
  9. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

With $4.5 billion in profit (and $16.1 billion in revenue) for the first-quarter of 2018, I think Intel can sleep easily: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3269449/components-processors/intel-earnings-call.html

However, a strong & profitable AMD can only be a good thing, as shown by Intel's response to Ryzen. I'm now seriously considering something like a Ryzen 5 2600 for my next build, which I couldn't see myself doing with an AMD CPU just 2-3 years ago.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Even if you ignore the rumoured clocks, 8 cores is certain (as are the same vulnerabilities since it is the same arch) and there is no chance it won't easily OC past Ryzen, so yes, Intel will be back to its usual dominance soon (at least until Zen 2).

11. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

That depends on as to whether or not you wish to purchase a product (at an inflated price) which is breeding vulnerabilities like a rabbit on steroids with a rocket glued to it's wee fluffy arse I suppose - plus factor in the cost of the usual (Intel tax premium) high end motherboard to facilitate getting the overclock anyway and DDR4...

Dominance (alleged) comes at a premium which most consumers won't chomp on.

12. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

From the leaks and bits I've seen, all the new i7's WONT have hyper-threading so the 6&8 core i7's wont have double digit threads.. Worse than the current 6 core i7!

13. Merglet

Merglet What's a Dremel?

I'm really glad. I admit to having been an AMD/ATI fanboy for years. I'm Canadian, so I felt a great loyalty to ATI. When ATI launched the Radeon 9700 Pro, it changed the game, and spanked Nvidia hard. My previous computer was an AMD which I used for 10 YEARS (I swear, it almost NEVER crashed out of games). I'm currently using an Intel cpu bc it was just better for the price (although it tends to crash out of games more than my ancient AMD system did), but I'll be building a Ryzen 2 system very soon, and sticking with their graphics as well.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Mainstream. Have we really reached that point yet? An 8c/16t CPU labelled i9 is NOT mainstream, it's an HEDT niche product. And don't get me started on the first i7 w/o HT... Intel once again milking the market segments they basically own.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Considering its for the mainstream platform, yes, we've reached that point. Plus it isn't like it will be anything truly special, just what is required to comprehensibly beat the R7 2700x (of course that won't stop Intel from pricing it like it could walk on water).
    As for product names, who cares about all those labels like Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5, i7 or i9... they could call it Dogturdium 17 for all I care, unless they slapped an Acer logo on it I won't be panning the naming shenanigans too much.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2018
  16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I understand the thinking behind calling it mainstream but that market segment is basically a niche within a niche. i3 and i5 is mainstream, i7 is high end, i9 is prosumer/professional grade stuff on the mainstream platform for those people who have very specific requirements and/or too much money.

Anyway, maybe I'm just sour about the hinted at price structure from now on in the Intel camp. Making HT a HEDT exclusive feature means you'll have to pay upwards of 800 EUR/GBP/USD to get it. Removes it completely from what I call mainstream.

17. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

I switched to threadripper 6 months ago. Really nice to be back with AMD.. As others have said, its good for everyone that they are back in the game..

Tags: Add Tags